• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i remove my husband from our mortgage papers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

orsara

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
My husband and I will be spliting up, We purchased a ome 6 years ago but did not put money down we just applied for a loan and began making mortgage payments he now wants to leave and told me he does not care if i loose the house which I will do what i can to make my payments. My question is does he just remove his name from the paper work? also please don't tell me I have to give him money. Why is that?

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The only way his name is coming off the mortgage papers is if you can refinance in your own name. The only way his name is coming off the deed is if he signs a Quit Claim. And yes, he is entitled to some portion of the equity in the property. Which means you'll have to give him some money.

LdiJ

stealth2 said:
The only way his name is coming off the mortgage papers is if you can refinance in your own name. The only way his name is coming off the deed is if he signs a Quit Claim. And yes, he is entitled to some portion of the equity in the property. Which means you'll have to give him some money.
Although if it has been six years and no down payment was made the equity may not be high. It will all depend on how much the home has appreciated in value.

Hard pill to swallow

I've been told that even though I made the down payment on the house, paid all the mortgage payments, made additional payments towards the principle (15,000K worth), lived in the house and have maintained it alone for the last 17 months that I have to buy him out for half the equity in order for me to stay in the home and own it. It's a hard pill to swallow... but it is what it is.. :cool:

nextwife

If you are having trouble making the payments, consider doing what I did when I bought my first house (alone). I houseshared with a roomate. I checked out each thoroughly and I set the house rules. One was a medical resident, another a graduate student. WE got on great, they got a furnished house to live in, and I got help making my mortgage. I had no problems.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">