• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sign my husbands name legally

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rcarter146

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I need to find out if I can legally sign my name on his checks we are seperated (but not legally). I have some checks and he tells me to use them and write checks for bills but I wont to find out if he wanted to if he could have me arrested for signing his name to his checks when I am not on his checking account???? Please help ASAP. Thanks, :confused:

rcarter146

Yes, he gave me one of his check books and told me to write a check when I needed to pay something. However now, he has moved another woman in with him. Also, he got some cash from and Insurance settlement where our house caught on fire and I want to write a check for 1/2 of that money if I can do that legally.

fairisfair

unless you have a power of attorney that specifies your authorization as his agent, or some other kind of written, notarized, permission; you are asking for trouble.

Why can't HE write the checks? Who in their right mind would give smeone, from whom they are separated, authority to write checks from their account? sorry your story just doesn't ring true.:rolleyes:

rcarter146

I know that it doesn't sound like a realistic, however we have had kind of a strange relationship, we have been married for 10 years but we haven't always lived together, even though he would be at my house or I would be at his house most of the time we have always had seperate places. So you are saying that legally I Can not sign his name even though I am married to him?

nextwife

If he wants you to sign the checks he can have a Power of Attorney prepared and executed naming you as Attorney in Fact, granting you the authority to sign checks on his behalf and deposit them. then send it to you.

rcarter146

well, I am just going to go and meet him and have him to sign a couple of blank checks and then I will go cash on of them and that way I know it will be legal. :mad:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
well, I am just going to go and meet him and have him to sign a couple of blank checks and then I will go cash on of them and that way I know it will be legal. :mad:
Even THAT could be challenged. Your best bet is to have HIM fill out and sign the checks totally.

Gracie3787

If he wants you to sign the checks he can have a Power of Attorney prepared and executed naming you as Attorney in Fact, granting you the authority to sign checks on his behalf and deposit them. then send it to you.
They can do this at OP's husband's bank. My hubby and I did this for his account since he was over the road and never home and it's worked out real well with no problems from anyone.

nextwife

Another option is a linked account. Hubby can simply transfer money into that account for her. My husband and I each have individual accounts and a household account. We transfer money into the household account from our individual accounts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">