+ Reply to Thread
    rcarter146 is offline Junior Member

Can I sign my husbands name legally

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I need to find out if I can legally sign my name on his checks we are seperated (but not legally). I have some checks and he tells me to use them and write checks for bills but I wont to find out if he wanted to if he could have me arrested for signing his name to his checks when I am not on his checking account???? Please help ASAP. Thanks,
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member
    Has he given you permission to sign his checks as his agent?
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
    Yes, he gave me one of his check books and told me to write a check when I needed to pay something. However now, he has moved another woman in with him. Also, he got some cash from and Insurance settlement where our house caught on fire and I want to write a check for 1/2 of that money if I can do that legally.
    fairisfair is offline Senior Member
    unless you have a power of attorney that specifies your authorization as his agent, or some other kind of written, notarized, permission; you are asking for trouble.

Why can't HE write the checks? Who in their right mind would give smeone, from whom they are separated, authority to write checks from their account? sorry your story just doesn't ring true.
    I know that it doesn't sound like a realistic, however we have had kind of a strange relationship, we have been married for 10 years but we haven't always lived together, even though he would be at my house or I would be at his house most of the time we have always had seperate places. So you are saying that legally I Can not sign his name even though I am married to him?
    TinkerBelleLuvr is offline Senior Member
    I would NOT do it.
    nextwife is offline Senior Member
    If he wants you to sign the checks he can have a Power of Attorney prepared and executed naming you as Attorney in Fact, granting you the authority to sign checks on his behalf and deposit them. then send it to you.
    well, I am just going to go and meet him and have him to sign a couple of blank checks and then I will go cash on of them and that way I know it will be legal.
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarter146 View Post
    well, I am just going to go and meet him and have him to sign a couple of blank checks and then I will go cash on of them and that way I know it will be legal.
    Even THAT could be challenged. Your best bet is to have HIM fill out and sign the checks totally.
    Gracie3787 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nextwife View Post
    If he wants you to sign the checks he can have a Power of Attorney prepared and executed naming you as Attorney in Fact, granting you the authority to sign checks on his behalf and deposit them. then send it to you.
    They can do this at OP's husband's bank. My hubby and I did this for his account since he was over the road and never home and it's worked out real well with no problems from anyone.
    TinkerBelleLuvr is offline Senior Member
    I need to find out if I can legally sign my name on his checks we are seperated (but not legally).
    If the OP signs those checks without EXPLICIT instructions, the STBX can set her up pretty badly.
    nextwife is offline Senior Member
    Another option is a linked account. Hubby can simply transfer money into that account for her. My husband and I each have individual accounts and a household account. We transfer money into the household account from our individual accounts.