• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I stay here with my children?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BeStrong

What is the name of your state? **** land

I live in ****land and I've been married for 1 1/2 years and moved into his townhouse with my 2 9yr. old daughters from a prior marriage. The title is in his name only.

We have property which we searched for together and he purchased alone before the marriage. After the marriage, we hired a builder together (we both signed the contract) and at the time of the construction loan we decided I should not be liable for loan, but we did put my name on the deed of the new property.

The house on the new property will be complete in the next 2 weeks, but this marriage is obviously over and I don't want to move there and continue to allow him to verbally abuse me and upset my girls.

Do I have any right to stay in this townhouse and keep my daughters in the school they have grown used to over the last 1 1/2 years? Do I have any rights to the new property?

Thanks**************

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

BeStrong said:
What is the name of your state? **** land

I live in ****land and I've been married for 1 1/2 years and moved into his townhouse with my 2 9yr. old daughters from a prior marriage. The title is in his name only.

We have property which we searched for together and he purchased alone before the marriage. After the marriage, we hired a builder together (we both signed the contract) and at the time of the construction loan we decided I should not be liable for loan, but we did put my name on the deed of the new property.

The house on the new property will be complete in the next 2 weeks, but this marriage is obviously over and I don't want to move there and continue to allow him to verbally abuse me and upset my girls.

Do I have any right to stay in this townhouse and keep my daughters in the school they have grown used to over the last 1 1/2 years? Do I have any rights to the new property?

Thanks**************
This isn't a simple question as MD is an equitable distribution state. You are free to make a Marital Separation Agreement and file it with the court and if you both agree that you can stay or stay for some time, then you may. You should have some interest in the new home as your name is on the deed even though the mortgage is in his name or the new home may be sold then the proceeds split. Are you in a financial position to keep both properties and live separately? Are you in a position to rent the townhome from him? A marriage of 1.5 years doesn't give you much claim on property he separately held prior to the marriage or to support your children from a previous marriage. Are you receiving child support for your girls?

BeStrong

I do not have any way of supporting either home. I have been a stay at home mother with my twin girls from the time they were born and my husband now does not want me to work and even told me not to take a part time job I was offered as he "wanted to take care of me." Any time I speak of doing something, he says "his wife is not doing that" and to stay home with my daughters. I do receive child support for the girls, but no where near enough to suppport either of these households and I could never support the new one. He has supported me for 3 1/2 years.

I realize that 1 1/2 years of marriage is just a drop in the bucket in the scheme of things, but the mental stress he has caused me and my daughters must mean something.

Is there a guideline for "time of marriage" for me to have any claim on anything in the marriage.

I sold a town home after we were married when I moved in with him, but with the market doubling in these areas of ****land, I can't even take the little money I received from that to purchase another, even in the same neighborhood.

I do try to talk to him about a business adventure with him but he will have none of that. His business partner is his business partner and he will not consider doing anything with me so I can have some sort of income also.

LdiJ

BeStrong said:
I do not have any way of supporting either home. I have been a stay at home mother with my twin girls from the time they were born and my husband now does not want me to work and even told me not to take a part time job I was offered as he "wanted to take care of me." Any time I speak of doing something, he says "his wife is not doing that" and to stay home with my daughters. I do receive child support for the girls, but no where near enough to suppport either of these households and I could never support the new one. He has supported me for 3 1/2 years.

I realize that 1 1/2 years of marriage is just a drop in the bucket in the scheme of things, but the mental stress he has caused me and my daughters must mean something.

Is there a guideline for "time of marriage" for me to have any claim on anything in the marriage.

I sold a town home after we were married when I moved in with him, but with the market doubling in these areas of ****land, I can't even take the little money I received from that to purchase another, even in the same neighborhood.

I do try to talk to him about a business adventure with him but he will have none of that. His business partner is his business partner and he will not consider doing anything with me so I can have some sort of income also.
Although you have a claim on the new home (since you are on the deed) its probably not a claim that is worth anything. Unless a really large down payment has been made, most mortgages start out upside down. It would probably cost more to sell it than its worth at this point.

The only claim you might have on the townhome is some claim to the equity that accrued during the marriage. Since the marriage was/is so short, that may not be much....and could be zero.

You need to get a job. Whether he likes it or not.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
At this point, your only real choices are to stay married to him, or divorce him and find a way to support yourself/your girls. He's not going to be made to pay alimony, nor is he under any obligation to help support the girls.

BeStrong

Thanks for the input.

I'm not really looking forward to staying married and living as room mates. Being name only will be awful.

The new property will have equity being that the land was purchased before the real estate boom here and one lot next to us is for sale for double what they paid. I know that does not mean it will sell, but from what I see being built on the other acreage and checking the multiple listings there is a good chance. The house was appraised using the plans for the construction loan and all indications are it will appraise higher also. We did request another appraisal to convert the loan to a mortgage and are waiting

Possibly the waiting game is my best move************** Who knows...

Thanks!
BeStrong!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">