• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a minor legally disown his/her parent(s)?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xConfusedxHelpx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

I'm not sure if I put this in the right catagory, or not. Oh, well.

For around the past 4 years I've truly hated my mother. I can't stand to be around her, I feel so relieved and happy when I'm NOT around her. When we're together I'm on edge, and my guard is up. She has struck me 4 or 5 times this year, I know it's not horrible abusse, but... it's still wrong.
She puts me down, telling me I'm pathetic, etc. One night I went to my dad's (whom I love dearly) Yes, he hurt me in the past, but I've gotten over it. He ran off with some girl for about a month but I don't care, he's never huurt me like my mother hurt me! Plus, that was 7 years ago! I know my dad loves me. Anyway, I went to his house on Black Friday and I spent the night bc the next day I was going to help them move. I knew this would piss my mom off, she doesn't allow me to spend the night with my dad. I was expecting what I knew I deserved for disobeying her, but I didn't care, the longer I got to spend with my family, the better. Well, the next day I helped them start their move, but we weren't done, so I had my older brother call my mom for me because I'm scared of her. He left a message saying him, his girlfriend Keyah, and their baby were spending the night also, and he rarely gets to see me, so he was hoping I could spend the night. Well, she never called back, so I just got ready for bed, and layed down with my step-sister. We were just laying there, still awake, talking. My dad came down at 1am and he seemed a bit upset, I had heard him yelling. He said my mom just called and I HAD to go home that second. I nodded. I asked him if I could have a few minutes alone before we took off he just walked back upstairs and left me alone. I completely forgot Hannah (my stepsister) was still there and I broke out in tears, I was afraid of what would happen when I got home, and I really didn't want to leave my family! Hannah, as usual couldn't keep it to herself even though I asked her not to tell anybody. Well, she ran upstairs and told my dad I was crying. I NEVER cry in front of my dad. I have, maybe twice in the past 6 years! He came down and held me in a hug. He didn't let go until I said "I guess we should probably leave..." still sniffling from my tears. He said "yeah" and we took off. The car ride was awkward. He held my hand while we drove, and when we were starting to get close to my house I panicked on the inside, I think he sensed it, because he told me "I'll get this all worked out baby, I promise. As soon as I can get a lawyer, I'm taking your mom to court over custody." I felt better, but I knew he must've told my mom about this... then my heart dropped, now I was really scared.
I got to the door, and my dad said "I wish I could go in there for you. I wish I could be the one that she's yelling at. I'm sorry, honey, I really am. Just tell her everything was my fault." I nodded even though I had no intention of blaming him. It was all my fault, anyway.
I walked inside, everybosy was sleeping. So I slipped off my shoes in attempt not to wake my mom. Well, I got to my room, and had just enough time to change into my pjs before my mom burst in screaming and yelling at me...
She told me that my dad doesn't love me, that's not my family, none of them really care about me, she questioned 'What the hell is wrong with you?' several times, then she went on to make fun of, and criticize my younger brother and sister, that are 4 and 2, just because they're my father and step-mom's children. I sat in tears while she screamed at me for hours neglecting to make eye contact. I was just so thankful she only stood in the doorway the whole time. But before she stopped she walked over to me and grabbed my arm, hard. She roughly pulled me to my feet, she said "LOOK AT ME!" I did, crying even harder, she smiled, let go of me, and walked away...

I just want to disown her, I have absolutely no love what so ever towards that woman anymore. She has hurt me so much, and completely broken my spirit, and killed my happiness. I am no longer the same person I was when her and my dad were together, I can see now why he left! She used to be like this to HIM, then he left. Then it was my brother, but he's almost never home anymore, so NOW it's me...
How can I disown her? Is it legally possible?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

For around the past 4 years I've truly hated my mother. I can't stand to be around her, I feel so relieved and happy when I'm NOT around her. When we're together I'm on edge, and my guard is up. She has struck me 4 or 5 times this year, I know it's not horrible abusse, but... it's still wrong.
She puts me down, telling me I'm pathetic, etc. One night I went to my dad's (whom I love dearly) Yes, he hurt me in the past, but I've gotten over it. He ran off with some girl for about a month but I don't care, he's never huurt me like my mother hurt me! Plus, that was 7 years ago! I know my dad loves me. Anyway, I went to his house on Black Friday and I spent the night bc the next day I was going to help them move. I knew this would piss my mom off, she doesn't allow me to spend the night with my dad. I was expecting what I knew I deserved for disobeying her, but I didn't care, the longer I got to spend with my family, the better. Well, the next day I helped them start their move, but we weren't done, so I had my older brother call my mom for me because I'm scared of her. He left a message saying him, his girlfriend Keyah, and their baby were spending the night also, and he rarely gets to see me, so he was hoping I could spend the night. Well, she never called back, so I just got ready for bed, and layed down with my step-sister. We were just laying there, still awake, talking. My dad came down at 1am and he seemed a bit upset, I had heard him yelling. He said my mom just called and I HAD to go home that second. I nodded. I asked him if I could have a few minutes alone before we took off he just walked back upstairs and left me alone. I completely forgot Hannah (my stepsister) was still there and I broke out in tears, I was afraid of what would happen when I got home, and I really didn't want to leave my family! Hannah, as usual couldn't keep it to herself even though I asked her not to tell anybody. Well, she ran upstairs and told my dad I was crying. I NEVER cry in front of my dad. I have, maybe twice in the past 6 years! He came down and held me in a hug. He didn't let go until I said "I guess we should probably leave..." still sniffling from my tears. He said "yeah" and we took off. The car ride was awkward. He held my hand while we drove, and when we were starting to get close to my house I panicked on the inside, I think he sensed it, because he told me "I'll get this all worked out baby, I promise. As soon as I can get a lawyer, I'm taking your mom to court over custody." I felt better, but I knew he must've told my mom about this... then my heart dropped, now I was really scared.
I got to the door, and my dad said "I wish I could go in there for you. I wish I could be the one that she's yelling at. I'm sorry, honey, I really am. Just tell her everything was my fault." I nodded even though I had no intention of blaming him. It was all my fault, anyway.
I walked inside, everybosy was sleeping. So I slipped off my shoes in attempt not to wake my mom. Well, I got to my room, and had just enough time to change into my pjs before my mom burst in screaming and yelling at me...
She told me that my dad doesn't love me, that's not my family, none of them really care about me, she questioned 'What the hell is wrong with you?' several times, then she went on to make fun of, and criticize my younger brother and sister, that are 4 and 2, just because they're my father and step-mom's children. I sat in tears while she screamed at me for hours neglecting to make eye contact. I was just so thankful she only stood in the doorway the whole time. But before she stopped she walked over to me and grabbed my arm, hard. She roughly pulled me to my feet, she said "LOOK AT ME!" I did, crying even harder, she smiled, let go of me, and walked away...

I just want to disown her, I have absolutely no love what so ever towards that woman anymore. She has hurt me so much, and completely broken my spirit, and killed my happiness. I am no longer the same person I was when her and my dad were together, I can see now why he left! She used to be like this to HIM, then he left. Then it was my brother, but he's almost never home anymore, so NOW it's me...
How can I disown her? Is it legally possible?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Too much drama to read. If you are being abused, tell a school counselor, the police, your pastor. After you become of age, you can disown your mom.

CSO286

How old are you?

The word you are looking for is "emancipation".

I don't know if a minor is even permitted to emancipate in KY, but if they are, based on what you've posted, you wouldn't meet the criteria.

Your only other alternative is for your Mom to allow you to live with your Dad. Is there some way that would be considered?

ETA:
Wiki states that KY does not have any statutes providing for a minor to become emancipated. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_Kentucky's_emancipation_laws
In this case, I am inclined to believe it.

More info here: http://www.kyjustice.org/node/618

Last edited:

potsnpea

I am not an attorney only a mother going through a divorce.
I am now painfully aware of the many dynamics that take place in a divorce. I can say the feelings you are having towards your mother are pretty much par for the course. It saddens me so much. It is not uncommon for the kids to become pawns in the divorce. Ideally they shouldn't be made as pawns but that only happens in a "good" divorce where both parents act honorably. That is very rare for divorces to be done in a good space.
You say your father cheated on your mom for a month but you forgive him. I understand fully because I loved my father very much. Do know though that this act put your mother in a very unfair position. It set her up for failure because you have no idea of the many emotions that are going on because of the affair. Your father who thinks he just has your best interest at heart has no idea that your relationship with your mother is also very important. He says he wishes he could go in there and be yelled at for you but he bolted. He didn't think about you when he left either. He didn't first get a divorce and go out with a woman. He left in his heart before the divorce and he didn't think about you at all. Your Mom can not be the mother she would be capable of being because she is an emotional mess. Affairs have this way of making a bad situation even worse.
I have a hard time explaining. I do know that one last ditch effort by abusive men is to use the kids against the wife. You may have become the target of your mothers anger because you have been swayed by your father. You have been so blinded now that you forgive him so easily for the affair. She supposedly "deserved" to be cheated on? She was your mother and she did not deserve that. He married her and had children. I think he owed her a divorce first and then he could move on. That would change the dynamics of custody and the divorce.
He didn't. He left and as an after thought he went back for you. You are a very sad and confused victim of this divorce gone bad to even worse. There is so much to the feelings your mother is going through that you have no idea until you too get married and have children. The stakes were raised so high when he chose to marry your mother and have children. I don't think any man has any right to cheat on their wife. I know men do it all the time but it doesn't make it right.
Well I am being wordy like you. I am addressing the drama someone here did not want to address. I hope this helps. My heart truly goes out to you. Divorce is so painful for everyone involved.
I don't mean to put your father down and I realize Dad's are important at the same time they do make mistakes and part of the mistake is coming off like they are righteous after an affair. They usually don't take responsibility for their actions and they usually blame the woman for something she did. They also love to put on their charming side to everyone else making it seem like they are the good guy. It's all part of the pathology. Again hard for me to explain. Your mother may not be as bad as you think at the same time it doesn't negate she is acting horribly. She has just been through an emotional roller coaster or raked through the coals going through this divorce and custody battle after an affair.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">