• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my annulment be stopped

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hope62208

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY My husband filed for an annulment and I felt pressured to sign the papers and I lied for the reason of the annulment. I called his lawyer and told him that I lied and that I want him to stop the papers from going through. He said that because I lied the papers were invalid and that he couldn't put them through. Can he put the papers through anyway? Even though I called him and told him that I lied?

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY My husband filed for an annulment and I felt pressured to sign the papers and I lied for the reason of the annulment. I called his lawyer and told him that I lied and that I want him to stop the papers from going through. He said that because I lied the papers were invalid and that he couldn't put them through. Can he put the papers through anyway? Even though I called him and told him that I lied?
it would be unethical for any attorney to file information they know to be untrue.

has anything actually been filed with the court?

Hope62208

I want to stop it because I felt pressured to sign the papers in the 1st place by his family & now I regret it. I love my husband and i don't want an annulment.

Isis1

I want to stop it because I felt pressured to sign the papers in the 1st place by his family & now I regret it. I love my husband and i don't want an annulment.
but if your husband wants a divorce, you do realize it's going to happen at some point, right? you cannot force him to stay married to you.

Hope62208

I know, but its a complicated situation. I know he doesn't want it either, but his family is pressuring him to do it because they hate me. They are very controlling and told them they would disown him. If we stayed married they are going to have to accept it.

CourtClerk

If we stayed married they are going to have to accept it.
Who lied to you and told you that? They don't have to accept anything they don't want to - and quite honestly, if your husband had as much testosterone and as big of a backbone as you think he has (or hopes he has), then the attorney would have never been called and there would have never been any papers in the first place. Sounds to me your husband is getting a divorce form you because the money is more important than you are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">