• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my current girlfriend live in my joint household? Help? Legal advice only

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mark0524

It didn't post.. So here's the situation
So I own a house with my ex partner. Both of our names are on the title deeds. I have a new partner now and we are staying in the house, but I was wondering if it is legal for my new girlfriend to be staying in the house? None of her things are registered to the house? So I don't think this counts as her moving in properly. So surely this is okay? I received a letter from my ex saying my new partner has no legal rights to be in the house and must leave by the 21st of this month. But if she's not registered there.. Surely this is okay? Can anyone help me please

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So I own a house with my ex partner. Both of our names are on the title deeds. I have a new partner now and we are staying in the house, but I was wondering if it is legal for my new girlfriend to be staying in the house? None of her things are registered to the house? So I don't think this counts as her moving in properly. So surely this is okay? I received a letter from my ex saying my new partner has no legal rights to be in the house and must leave by the 21st of this month. But if she's not registered there.. Surely this is okay? Can anyone help me please
This is a US law site and we don't know English law.

Proserpina

*mutters something unrepeatable about tea, harbours-with-a-u and football-played-without-padding*

;) :D

OP, I'm actually a Brit and I can actually tell you that as long as you're in the house, your girlfriend can live with you. If your ex wishes to make a big deal about it, let her.

latigo

You need your solicitor to verify, but my guess is that the laws pertaining to estates in cotenancy are essentially the same in Great Britain as in the United States. (After all we borrowed or stole your laws centuries ago as did all the English Colonies.)

Assuming so, then you and your ex partner stand in the relationship of tenants in common or co-tenants. As such you share equal rights to the use of the jointly owned property. (And this regardless of the percentage of individual deeded ownership.)

So if you wish to share your rights of occupancy, or she share hers, neither have legal grounds to complain. Nor, because she choose not to take up and share the occupancy, can you be held obligated to her for rent.

Proserpina

You need your solicitor to verify, but my guess is that the laws pertaining to estates in cotenancy are essentially the same in Great Britain as in the United States. (After all we borrowed or stole your laws centuries ago as did all the English Colonies.)

Assuming so, then you and your ex partner stand in the relationship of tenants in common or co-tenants. As such you share equal rights to the use of the jointly owned property. (And this regardless of the percentage of individual deeded ownership.)

So if you wish to share your rights of occupancy, or she share hers, neither have legal grounds to complain. Nor, because she choose not to take up and share the occupancy, can you be held obligated to her for rent.
Do not "guess", latigo.

Isn't that what you usually preach?

latigo

Perhaps better to have said a supposition expressed in anticipatory terms. Whatever, but based on a long professional acquaintance with traditional English common law principles. Among which are the subject of this thread.

Something you, Princess Pro Se with your most incisive, let her make a stink over it, would know little of.

Bali Hai

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-470774/Millionaire-wins-court-battle-unfaithful-wife-claiming-fortune--30-years-divorce.html

I now see why our laws are screwed up.

Proserpina

Perhaps better to have said a supposition expressed in anticipatory terms. Whatever, but based on a long professional acquaintance with traditional English common law principles. Among which are the subject of this thread.

Something you, Princess Pro Se with your most incisive, let her make a stink over it, would know little of.
BAAAAHAHAHAHA.

Lat, you just made my day.

Although I believe my Princess tiara is actually OG's property since she is, after all, the Quidditch Queen. But other than that? Bellyache from laughing too hard.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">