• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my ex force me to refinance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stockmom

What is the name of your state?
Alabama

My ex-husband gave the house and car (that I had already been paying for) to me in our divorce. Now he is trying to force me to re-finance everything that has his name on it so that he doesnt have to "worry" about anything being tied to him. I am a single mom who makes 40k, but my credit has a few bad marks from several years ago. I am worried that my credit will not carry refinancing my house, car, etc. Can he legally make me refinance and have his name removed???

LdiJ

stealth2 said:
Your ex can't. But the court can.
Depending of course on what their agreement actually said. If it was silent on the issues then he would have a greater chance of getting a ruling than if it outlined something specific.

Mbarr

LdiJ said:
Depending of course on what their agreement actually said. If it was silent on the issues then he would have a greater chance of getting a ruling than if it outlined something specific.
Actually, if she is awarded the property and the debt, but there is no requirement for refinance stated in the agreement & order, then she doesn't have to. There is no modification of a property settlement in AL--only enforcement. If the court order is silent there is nothing to enforce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">