• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my ex sell the house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ClaireNY

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My husband and I purchased a home in 1988.. Due to prior bad debts, I was not listed on the Deed.. Years passed (18) and we divorced.. In the divorce decree it is stated that we jointly owned the residence.. He has been living in the home since the divorce and now wants to sell it.. Do I have any legal rights to block his selling the home?

ClairNY

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My husband and I purchased a home in 1988.. Due to prior bad debts, I was not listed on the Deed.. Years passed (18) and we divorced.. In the divorce decree it is stated that we jointly owned the residence.. He has been living in the home since the divorce and now wants to sell it.. Do I have any legal rights to block his selling the home?

ClairNY
What EXACTLY does it state about the house? And can you afford to keep the home and PAY EVERYTHING yourself?

ClaireNY

It states under PROPERTY & DEBTS:

"The parties own a home together, located at *****
The parties shall cooperate as follows regarding the home : The sale of the home will be evaluated on August 11, 2011.. Husband and Wife agree to divide the proceeds from the sale as follows : Husband to receive 35% and Wife to receive 65%.

And, yes, I can afford and want to maintain the home..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">