• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my soon to be x husband get my lottery winnings that I just won??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jess marie

CaliforniaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I was planning on divorcing my husband while he is incarcerated but then I found out that I won the lottery can he get any of my winnings??

Jess marie

x husband and the lottery

He can still get half the winnings even if he owes a lot of back child support and has not brought in any source of income during our marriage?

single317dad

This very much depends on your ability to prove a date of permanent separation (and your spouse's ability to prove you are not separated).

See post #2.

LdiJ

This very much depends on your ability to prove a date of permanent separation (and your spouse's ability to prove you are not separated).

See post #2.
Offsets for child support arrears would factor in as well.

If its a 100k lottery win, and he owes 60k in arrears to the lottery winner, he is not going to get anything other than his arrears being wiped out by 50k. On the other hand, if there is an actual child support order in place, to the winner, that goes a long way towards proving legal separation.

Silverplum

Offsets for child support arrears would factor in as well.

If its a 100k lottery win, and he owes 60k in arrears to the lottery winner, he is not going to get anything other than his arrears being wiped out by 50k. On the other hand, if there is an actual child support order in place, to the winner, that goes a long way towards proving legal separation.
But...but...what about TAXES??

Did you forget TAXES???

LdiJ

But...but...what about TAXES??

Did you forget TAXES???
You are correct, I did not address taxes. Taxes would be assessed to the winner so it would be necessary to argue that IF the proceeds were to be divided in some manner in a divorce proceeding that they should be divided net of tax. Ownership of the lottery ticket could be litigated before cashing it in so that each party would be responsible for their own tax, but in general, that would be risky because the deadline for cashing in a lottery ticket could easily expire before the end of the litigation. Most lotteries have a 180 day deadline and litigation could easily last much longer than that.

Silverplum

You are correct, I did not address taxes. Taxes would be assessed to the winner so it would be necessary to argue that IF the proceeds were to be divided in some manner in a divorce proceeding that they should be divided net of tax. Ownership of the lottery ticket could be litigated before cashing it in so that each party would be responsible for their own tax, but in general, that would be risky because the deadline for cashing in a lottery ticket could easily expire before the end of the litigation. Most lotteries have a 180 day deadline and litigation could easily last much longer than that.
Excellent info. :)

I was all :eek: that you didn't mention taxes!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">