• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a separated woman apply for food stamps w/o the husband?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

u152027

Hi,

Can a married woman apply for food stamps if she is just separated from her husband? He works but she does not at the moment. They have two children and she has both of them. We still live under the same roof because I don't have any money for rent.

My question is will she be denied because of his income even though she is seeing none of it? She is working on being divorced, but that is a lengthy and expensive process and she needs help with food now! He refuses to help her. And YES, she is working on getting an attorney and making him help her...but food stamps would be a blessing in the meantime.

Thank you to anyone who answers. Illinois, ChicagoWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

xylene

Her (We she - that is confusing as heck and all over the place) best option is to go to the welfare office and explain her situation and make an honest application.

mistoffolees

Hi,

Can a married woman apply for food stamps if she is just separated from her husband? He works but she does not at the moment. They have two children and she has both of them. We still live under the same roof because I don't have any money for rent.

My question is will she be denied because of his income even though she is seeing none of it? She is working on being divorced, but that is a lengthy and expensive process and she needs help with food now! He refuses to help her. And YES, she is working on getting an attorney and making him help her...but food stamps would be a blessing in the meantime.

Thank you to anyone who answers. Illinois, ChicagoWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Typically, food stamps are based on households. If the husband is not in the household and is not providing support, you may be eligible. Try this link and pay particular attention to how they define 'household':

FNS SNAP Program Eligibility Screening Tool

(Or, as xylene suggested, visit your local welfare office)

commentator

Why do people think they have to figure it all out before they actually apply for programs? You should have talked to the Food Stamp office, and then you'd be getting expert advice from the horse's mouth.

Incidentally, "we still live under the same roof" was just about a deal killer. There would have to be substantial evidence that he is a separate legal entity, never shares his support and provision with them, keeps his food separate from hers and the children's. Not going to happen, not going to fly.

How can you say you are separated from your husband when you still live together?

As the saying goes, we don't care where you're sleeping, if you are legally married and still living in the same household, we count his income.

mistoffolees

Why do people think they have to figure it all out before they actually apply for programs? You should have talked to the Food Stamp office, and then you'd be getting expert advice from the horse's mouth.

Incidentally, "we still live under the same roof" was just about a deal killer. There would have to be substantial evidence that he is a separate legal entity, never shares his support and provision with them, keeps his food separate from hers and the children's. Not going to happen, not going to fly.

How can you say you are separated from your husband when you still live together?

As the saying goes, we don't care where you're sleeping, if you are legally married and still living in the same household, we count his income.
Excellent point. I glossed over that (when people say they're separated, it usually means, well, 'separated').

You're right - if they're living in the same household, it's going to be very difficult.

tuffbrk

Please do not consider misrepresenting information either - the state does perform a basic due diligence on applications.

My "not quite an ex at the time" had filed for food stamps, support and medicaid. While I was living in the house, paying all of the bills and stocking the cupboards - although I would not give him any spending money. While processing his application, in which he claimed that I no longer supported the family and did not reside at the home, I was contacted by the state as they were going to initiate a child support order so that the state would be repaid any benefits paid to him on behalf of my children.

I provided copies of my drivers license & utility bills to provie residency and bank statements showing the payments being made for mortgage and utilities, card swipes at the grocery store, etc. and his application was denied.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">