• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can she shut the water off?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bloodly1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My wife up and left without a word, served divorce papers,and a restraint order. Today the city came with an order to lock off my water. I went and looked at the bill and had no idea that it was under her name only. My mom is the owner of the home and can not be reached as she is traveling abroad. Can she shut the water off to the home without consulting me? Or I would think that she couldn't do it period, at least till the divorce is worked out.

I need water.

seniorjudge

Double Post Warning

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My wife up and left without a word, served divorce papers,and a restraint order. Today the city came with an order to lock off my water. I went and looked at the bill and had no idea that it was under her name only. My mom is the owner of the home and can not be reached as she is traveling abroad. Can she shut the water off to the home without consulting me? Or I would think that she couldn't do it period, at least till the divorce is worked out.

I need water.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/divorce-separation-annulment-36/my-wifes-hidden-bank-accounts-421738.html

bloodly1

I don't see how this is a double post. The city came to turn my water off. I don't see the correlation between this and hiding money in separate accounts.

It might have taken you less time to just answer the question instead of attempting to make me look like a double poster... which I'm still not seeing.

LdiJ

I don't see how this is a double post. The city came to turn my water off. I don't see the correlation between this and hiding money in separate accounts.

It might have taken you less time to just answer the question instead of attempting to make me look like a double poster... which I'm still not seeing.
I don't think that you are a double poster in this instance. However, you could have simply added this question to your existing thread.

Of course she can turn off the water to get her name off the account. You need to get it turned back on in your name only.

This is the kind of thing that people do to each other when the divorce gets hostile....you did start the hostilities after all. You tanked her promotion. This is her petty revenge.

Roo

If the account was only in her name, yes she can have it shut off. She doesn't need to consult you. Owner of the house has no say in it either.
You'll need to get an account in your name if you want water.

nextwife

If the account was only in her name, yes she can have it shut off. She doesn't need to consult you. Owner of the house has no say in it either.
You'll need to get an account in your name if you want water.
Actually, if she is NOT the owner, it is likely he can just have the billing changed to his name and stop the turn off.

TinkerBelleLuvr

I'm trying to think of an older movie about a couple who are getting divorced and it is really nasty - think it was "War of the Roses." Sure does sound like that one!

nextwife

The turn off was already done, so that isn't an option.
No biggy. I get utilities turned on and off all the time. He should de able to have them transfer the account to him and turn it on. It don't know why he's being told he can't. I've NEVER been told I can't get the water turned on If I am putting the account into my companies name! And I manage utilities on dozens of properties at once.

majomom1

No biggy. I get utilities turned on and off all the time. He should de able to have them transfer the account to him and turn it on. It don't know why he's being told he can't. I've NEVER been told I can't get the water turned on If I am putting the account into my companies name! And I manage utilities on dozens of properties at once.
I have had a rental property. With each change in tenant the utilities wanted confirmation from me (the owner) before they would open an account for a tenant. This is to keep people from putting their service in another name, to skip on the bill.

I also have been asked, as a renter, to provide "permission" from the landlord before utilities were opened in my name.

The water company seems to be the most picky about this.

And: the very first advice I got during my divorce was to transfer all utilities into my name so my ex couldn't play these games. I was also asked at that time if I was the owner of the property.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">