• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can A Stipulation Settlement be revisited

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmvalentino

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

In my divorce Stipulation Settlement, I agreed to sign the family home over to my ex for the fact that she was to have custody of my child. I have since gotten full custody of my child from my ex who has contracted a mental condition that renders her incapable of caring for my child nor herself. Her family is now trying to have all the transfer paperwork that was never done taken care of now.

Since I now have full custody of my child, I want to revisit the Stipulation and once again have a percentage of the family home to use for the caring of my child. I have a strong feeling that her family is trying to take the home from her due to her mental state and do not want for this to happen and lose any percentage that I may be still able to hold on to so that I may be able to use it for my children.

Is it possible for me to have the stipulation revisited and changed??

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

In my divorce Stipulation Settlement, I agreed to sign the family home over to my ex for the fact that she was to have custody of my child. I have since gotten full custody of my child from my ex who has contracted a mental condition that renders her incapable of caring for my child nor herself. Her family is now trying to have all the transfer paperwork that was never done taken care of now.

Since I now have full custody of my child, I want to revisit the Stipulation and once again have a percentage of the family home to use for the caring of my child. I have a strong feeling that her family is trying to take the home from her due to her mental state and do not want for this to happen and lose any percentage that I may be still able to hold on to so that I may be able to use it for my children.

Was the divorce finalized? Did the court keep jurisdiction over the divorce so that it can change things? What exactly does it state regarding the family home? Quite frankly you may not have a leg to stand on. If your ex is disabled apply for dependent benefits for your child.

LdiJ

Like OG said it may not be possible. Either quote here (word for word) what your divorce decree says about the house, or take it to an attorney for any opinion.

However, odds are that the house is her property now, despite any delay in handling the transfer of the deed.

mistoffolees

Was the divorce finalized? Did the court keep jurisdiction over the divorce so that it can change things? What exactly does it state regarding the family home? Quite frankly you may not have a leg to stand on. If your ex is disabled apply for dependent benefits for your child.
In addition, look into whether child support can be ordered to be paid out of assets (i.e., the home's equity) in a case like this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">