• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can We File for Divorce Jointly in CA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ryangrg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello,

My wife (ex-wife unofficially) and I are filing for divorce, well actually I'm doing the paper work which I received from the court self-help center in Van Nuys. We have a daughter and have already established the terms of the divorce between the two of us wit out need of mediation. The paper work I have requires a summons of the other party. So my question is, is there a way to file jointly so to avoid the whole serving process?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello,

My wife (ex-wife unofficially) and I are filing for divorce, well actually I'm doing the paper work which I received from the court self-help center in Van Nuys. We have a daughter and have already established the terms of the divorce between the two of us wit out need of mediation. The paper work I have requires a summons of the other party. So my question is, is there a way to file jointly so to avoid the whole serving process?
Why not just have somebody hand her the papers and then submit the proof of service form? It doesn't HAVE to be somebody you and, since your situation doesn't seem to be confrontational, it shouldn't cause a problem with your wife either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">