• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a wife sue for alienation of affection?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gumbymac

What is the name of your state? TN

A friend is involved with a married man going through a nasty divorce. The wife has gotten her cell phone number and has started calling her threatening her with suing her in court to try and get everything she owns. The husband doesn't really own anything except a house on his in-laws land that isn't even paid for. He also has two children with her and a child from an earlier relationship. The wife recently got a job at the post office so she is now working but didn't work most of the 9 year marriage. Other than the obvious, my friend should never have gotten involved with a married man :( , what can legally happen to her? Also, what is the maximum money that can be withheld from this man's salary in alimony and child support? He makes around $45k a year.

He tells her a different story all the time and I would like to give her the information necessary to know it is really time to drop this guy.

fairisfair

What is the name of your state? TN

A friend is involved with a married man going through a nasty divorce. The wife has gotten her cell phone number and has started calling her threatening her with suing her in court to try and get everything she owns. The husband doesn't really own anything except a house on his in-laws land that isn't even paid for. He also has two children with her and a child from an earlier relationship. The wife recently got a job at the post office so she is now working but didn't work most of the 9 year marriage. Other than the obvious, my friend should never have gotten involved with a married man :( , what can legally happen to her? Also, what is the maximum money that can be withheld from this man's salary in alimony and child support? He makes around $45k a year.

He tells her a different story all the time and I would like to give her the information necessary to know it is really time to drop this guy.
Tennessee has enacted legislation preventing lawsuits for alienation of affection. So, no your friend cannot be sued.

As for child support, you can find a calculator online and estimate the amount of support that he would be required to pay. However, you will also need to take into account the possiblility of spousal support, as well as the portion of marital debt and assets that will be attributed to him.

She already has all the information necessary to know that it is time to drop the guy, he is a lying cheat. Does she need more?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">