• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you divorce someone when you don't know where they are?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

APhillips86

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

Hey, a friend of mine has been married to her husband for 15 years. It is a military marriage. They have been seperated for about 3 years, for the past year and a half (2 years in december) she has not been able to contact him and has no idea where he is at. He was not sending her support which she says is required in the military that as long as they are married he has to support her. So she contacted his commanding officer and he said that if he did not start supporting her he would lose his Married BAH, I think that's what it was? Anyways, she wants to get a divorce from him. Would the fact that she has no idea where he is at hurt her at all? Or is there a way she can still divorce him. Or is there a way to find out if they are still even married and he hasn't divorced her in the past year and a half that they have gone with no contact? Also does it matter where the divorce is filed because she lives here in Connecticut, the last place they lived together was Florida and they were married in Indiana. Thanks.

justalayman

If the guy is still active duty, it should not be difficult to find him. The military tends to keep pretty good track of their soldiers.

SHORTY LONG

And if he is deployed, then no divorce until he returns. As Justalayman shared,
the military does keep pretty good track of their solders, so, until you find out
for sure, then, at this time it would be fruitless to answer your other questions!

APhillips86

Ok, how would she find out if he is still in the military? The last thing she heard about him was that the ship he was on was decommed (I think that is the right word) he was on the John F. Kennedy. Would she just call up the navy and ask them if he is still active duty or would she have to get to an actual naval base to talk to someone? Sorry I am a bit ignorant about this stuff :rolleyes:

LdiJ

Ok, how would she find out if he is still in the military? The last thing she heard about him was that the ship he was on was decommed (I think that is the right word) he was on the John F. Kennedy. Would she just call up the navy and ask them if he is still active duty or would she have to get to an actual naval base to talk to someone? Sorry I am a bit ignorant about this stuff :rolleyes:
She should probably start by contacting the same person she contacted regarding the support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">