• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cancel QDRO

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wistown

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI
My wife and I were remarried several years ago, and we would like to get the QDRO canceled that was part of our divorce. Where could I find the forms to do this.
Thank you

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI
My wife and I were remarried several years ago, and we would like to get the QDRO canceled that was part of our divorce. Where could I find the forms to do this.
Thank you
I'm not sure you can - you'd be effectively doing what would now be a taxable transfer from one account to the other. You'd end up paying huge taxes and penalties.

Since you're now married, there's really no reason to do that, anyway. There is no real difference whether you have $100 K in each account rather than $200 K in a single account. If you stay together, it doesn't matter a bit (at least if you're filing your taxes jointly. If you're filing separately, it may even help). If, OTOH, you divorce again, it would save you the trouble of splitting it again.

So why do you want to merge the accounts?

wistown

It is not for a 401K, but for my retirement account. If we let it stand there is a complicated procedure for us to apply separately. If I can do it myself it is simple.

mistoffolees

It is not for a 401K, but for my retirement account. If we let it stand there is a complicated procedure for us to apply separately. If I can do it myself it is simple.
Talk to your account administrator. However, I suspect that my comments above apply to ANY pre-tax account. Your administrator will know for sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">