• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Canceling utilities and electric after separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dstock2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pinellas county Florida

Me and my ex "girlfriend" have a 2 yr old child together.. And rented a home with both names on the lease.. The lease ended in august and she now resides there on a month to month agreement... About 2.5 months ago we decided to separate and i moved out. On the 1st of december i gave her a month notice over text that I'm canceling the service to the utilities and electric since its in my name. Our 2 yr old is 80% of the time with me, maybe even more. He overnights with me. Well my question is that since its nearing the end of the month and i go through with the shut off, what repercussions could i face if any in an inevitable custody fight thats soon to come. She also has a 10yr old of her own and i know she doesn't have deposit money to turn these bills back on. Am i in the right since i dont live there and given her a months warning, plus weekly reminders

adjusterjack

You're not married to her. You have no legal obligations to her at all other than perhaps future child support if she gets custody and, even then, you would not be obligated for the utilities.

Go ahead and cancel your account if you like.

She's an adult. She'll figure out how to get them back on.

If you want to play nice and pay her deposit for her, that's up to you.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pinellas county Florida

Me and my ex "girlfriend" have a 2 yr old child together.. And rented a home with both names on the lease.. The lease ended in august and she now resides there on a month to month agreement... About 2.5 months ago we decided to separate and i moved out. On the 1st of december i gave her a month notice over text that I'm canceling the service to the utilities and electric since its in my name. Our 2 yr old is 80% of the time with me, maybe even more. He overnights with me. Well my question is that since its nearing the end of the month and i go through with the shut off, what repercussions could i face if any in an inevitable custody fight thats soon to come. She also has a 10yr old of her own and i know she doesn't have deposit money to turn these bills back on. Am i in the right since i dont live there and given her a months warning, plus weekly reminders
During the "inevitable custody fight," I guarantee you will hear:

"Your Honor, he left and turned off the utilities!! In the wintertime!! He knew I couldn't afford to suddenly pay for the deposits and he still turned them off! Our child lives here part of the time, and he didn't even care about his own child, either!"

Be smart or be stupid. It's up to you.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
During the "inevitable custody fight," I guarantee you will hear:

"Your Honor, he left and turned off the utilities!! In the wintertime!! He knew I couldn't afford to suddenly pay for the deposits and he still turned them off! Our child lives here part of the time, and he didn't even care about his own child, either!"

Be smart or be stupid. It's up to you.
I couldn't agree more.

And that's all I can bring myself to type without losing posting privileges.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
An adult would find a reasonable and humane solution with the other parent of their child.

Dstock2

I understand your opinions this is why im asking.. But even with the month notice you still think its a "stupid" move... She still uses our old joint bank account so i can see everything she spends her money on and shes not saving in prep of the notice assuming its a bluff by me... I find it very annoying because she's letting all the bills fall behind and i know shes going to just walk on them leaveing me in debt once her tax refund hit.. And when i turn them on to my new residence ill be paying off her debts.

LdiJ

I understand your opinions this is why im asking.. But even with the month notice you still think its a "stupid" move... She still uses our old joint bank account so i can see everything she spends her money on and shes not saving in prep of the notice assuming its a bluff by me... I find it very annoying because she's letting all the bills fall behind and i know shes going to just walk on them leaveing me in debt once her tax refund hit.. And when i turn them on to my new residence ill be paying off her debts.
I think its a really stupid move to do this time of year. When it warms up, then it would be less of a problem.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why don't you offer to pay the deposits for her if she'll transfer the utilities to her name? It'll be cheaper than 4 more months of paying the utilities, and you would come across as trying to be helpful and generous.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I find it "very annoying" that you're still not showing any concern, whatsoever, for anyone other than yourself. Not even your child.

You have control issues. You should get help for that.

Dstock2

I have been beyond selfless. Offering everything i can and been completely open.. She refuses to help with him at all.. Again i said i have him.. He lives with me at my mothers. Hate to play the blame game but she is the one thats controling vindictive and manipulative. She got me fired, she forced me out of The home threatening to falsly call the police of me for a DV if i didnt, than put all responsiblity of our child on me.... Now im 100% ok with that. I always want my child. But since she took all my money, got me out of work, and only funded herself. Daycare quickly was cancelled. So me having him full time is a blessing but its truely hard to restart while caring for a 2yr old full time.. And her just sitting there racking up debt for me is really bull****. Fyi we live in pinellas county.. Its 80 degrees here, not really winter. So you all think i should "play" nice... Im truely not playing any games, i just want the indendence because ill be coming up on money next month to restart my life and do not want to use up all my funds paying off a womans debt and turning her lights on, when shes been an absence mother for months... Do you all still feel its in my best interest to keep the accounts on and let her use me. So i can say look how nice i am whenever it matters

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I get it now...I don't know how we didn't realize it before: You're here looking for cheerleaders, not legal advice.

adjusterjack

Do you all still feel its in my best interest to keep the accounts on and let her use me. So i can say look how nice i am whenever it matters
Seems clear that the ungrateful witch is going to screw you no matter what you do.

I'd pull the plug on her in a heartbeat.

And if you still have access to joint bank accounts, get your money out now while you still can.

Silverplum

I have been beyond selfless. Offering everything i can and been completely open.. She refuses to help with him at all.. Again i said i have him.. He lives with me at my mothers. Hate to play the blame game but she is the one thats controling vindictive and manipulative. She got me fired, she forced me out of The home threatening to falsly call the police of me for a DV if i didnt, than put all responsiblity of our child on me.... Now im 100% ok with that. I always want my child. But since she took all my money, got me out of work, and only funded herself. Daycare quickly was cancelled. So me having him full time is a blessing but its truely hard to restart while caring for a 2yr old full time.. And her just sitting there racking up debt for me is really bull****. Fyi we live in pinellas county.. Its 80 degrees here, not really winter. So you all think i should "play" nice... Im truely not playing any games, i just want the indendence because ill be coming up on money next month to restart my life and do not want to use up all my funds paying off a womans debt and turning her lights on, when shes been an absence mother for months... Do you all still feel its in my best interest to keep the accounts on and let her use me. So i can say look how nice i am whenever it matters
Do whatever you want. (ETA: I leave the AC on for my dog when it's 80 degrees F outside. :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">