• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cancelling joint accounts?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ICUB4ER

What is the name of your state? Kansas
STBX and I had two cell phones on a joint account which was billed in his name. I just tried to use mine and found that it had been turned off and the account had been canceled. I also got a letter in the mail from our auto insurance agent that effective 01/18, I and two vehicles were no longer on the joint policy and had been placed on an individual policy in my name. The settlement conference is scheduled for 02/28, and in the temp order it states that no accounts can be canceled. Does that include turning off the cell phones and changing insurance policies? Now that he has canceled the cell phones, the kids and I have no way to contact him. The kids said that he has another phone but refuses to gives me or the kids the number, and he also refuses to give me his current address. The kids can't tell me the address because he lives out in the country and has a rural address that isn't posted anywhere.

JETX

ICUB4ER said:
Does that include turning off the cell phones and changing insurance policies?
No one can answer your question without reading the FULL agreement. What did your attorney say when you asked him/her??

ICUB4ER

I haven't been able to discuss this with my attorney as I wasn't aware of it until Saturday. I will be calling her first thing in the morning.

The temp order states...The parties are restrained and enjoined from canceling any utility services and/or deposits or canceling or modifying (including changing beneficiaries) of any existing pension benefits, medical, health, automobile, homeowners or renters, life or disability insurance coverages involving family members or their property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">