• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cannot Attend Mediation Hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Monkey1001

My wife and I are due in Court in Connecticut in late April for a case management hearing, but I live in Georgia, and while I am employed cannot afford the travel neccessary to make it. I have called legal aid, and they told me to call the clerk; but have not gotten any response; and it's now been four weeks! Is there another way to remedy this situation? Can I file a motion or something? Is it possible to extend the date? If so how would I do so?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My wife and I are due in Court in Connecticut in late April for a case management hearing, but I live in Georgia, and while I am employed cannot afford the travel neccessary to make it. I have called legal aid, and they told me to call the clerk; but have not gotten any response; and it's now been four weeks! Is there another way to remedy this situation? Can I file a motion or something? Is it possible to extend the date? If so how would I do so?
You can file various motions but you really need an attorney or to just go. A motion to continue, a motion to appear telephonically -- either could work depending on what you want to do. But the court would have to agree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">