• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't Attend Status Hearing for Sepatation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbd760

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Can't attend Status hearing and spouse will not reschedule, what options do I have? Court says both parties must agree to change dates...Will I be in contempt of court? Will I lose any claims to property?

Help

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Can't attend Status hearing and spouse will not reschedule, what options do I have? Court says both parties must agree to change dates...Will I be in contempt of court? Will I lose any claims to property?

Help
No one can say what the judge will do. Some are lenient (particularly if there's a good reason), others will let her get whatever she asks for if you're not there to contest it.

You need to be there. Why can't you attend?

If you really can't attend, you have two choices. Personally, I would do both:
1. Hire an attorney to represent you.
2. File a request with the court to change the date. However, if they insist that both parties must agree, there may have been a reason - such as one party delaying things unendingly and they may not be that flexible.

I'm sure we'll hear the normal 'but I can't afford an attorney'. Fine. Then be prepared to lose all your property and pay high levels of alimony for a long time if you make more than stbx or lose alimony if you're earning less than stbx. (CA is one of the few states where alimony is awarded even for short term marriages).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">