• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

clumzytweety

What is the name of your state? california
I filed for divorce last month. Last week he was incarcerated for domestic violence on me. The only property we have is our car. I can't afford to pay for the car now that he will not pay any support. Can I voluntarily give my car back or do I have to wait until they reposses it?

djohnson

You can do either. You can keep using it until they repo it and try looking for a job so you can keep it in the mean time, or you can contact the financial institution and do a voluntary repo and give it back now. That chose is yours.

C

clumzytweety

I have a good job but I'm barely making ends meet with the car payment and insurance ($800 total). Would it be worse if they took it or are both just as bad as the other?

djohnson

Some people say that a voluntary repo looks a little better, but they are both still repo's on your credit and both will hurt you in the future.

VeronicaGia

If he is in jail how is he to pay support? I realize he's there for a good reason, but I'm not sure I understand how you believe he should pay while he's in jail.

In whose name is the car? Yours, his or both?

C

clumzytweety

I don't expect him to pay anymore. But when I got the car and he was around he did help. The car is in my name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">