• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car and Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aeyoung4

Maine:

my husbad had bought a car and my father co-signed on the car. before the divorce we went through the process to get the car just in my fathers name, and because we got a new account number from the finance company we just assumed that the account had been transferred into only my fathers name. since we did this before the divorce was final, it was not mentioned int divorce decree. i have been paying for the car now for about a year and a half (and have proof of this through bank statements). aparently my ex never signed the papers to sign over the car to my father, and the car was still in his name. my ex came and took the car in the middle of the night from my home. i know there is not much i can do because the car is in his name so it is his car. however, can i get any repayment for the money that i have invested over the last year and a half? also, is there any recourse for my father if the ex does not make the payments on the car?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">