• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car title / debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ljsb415

What is the name of your state (Idaho)?

I find myself in an interesting situation. My ex-husband and I have been divorced since 4/2009. While we were married, we bought a car, the car is in his name, but when we divorced, I took the car. We still owed a couple years worth of payments, so I just continued paying the balance because in our divorce paperwork, we agreed that the car would be mine. We lived in different states following our separation and it seemed easier to just have him transfer the title to me once the car was paid off.

Fast forward to now: I still have the car, but I don't have the title and I can't get ahold of him. The bank the loan was taken out through won't discuss the loan or the title with me because it's in his name. I have spoken to an attorney, but she told me my best bet is to get ahold of him. So here I am, with a title-less car and no way of getting ahold of him (been trying for a long time!). Do I have any options considering that I DO have paperwork signed by a judge saying that the car is mine?

OHRoadwarrior

Without being able to contact him, you options are limited. Even if you could get the court to order the dmv to change the title to your name, it does not appear the lien holder is going to let you know whether the lien has been released or not. The DMV is unlikely to advise you of the fact either.

single317dad

Try asking a car dealer. I know they have a procedure in most states to allow posting a surety bond if they can't get the previous owner to assist them with a lost or otherwise unusable title. Maybe there's something similar for your situation. Otherwise, unfortunately, you'll probably have to track him down, which really shouldn't be impossible in this day and age.

Don Russell

If he has not done the fugitive thing

Ie, obtained a new ID in another name, left the US, cut all past contacts, a skip tracer can find him in a week (and often in an hour, online). So, $100 or $1000, but he'll be found.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (Idaho)?

I find myself in an interesting situation. My ex-husband and I have been divorced since 4/2009. While we were married, we bought a car, the car is in his name, but when we divorced, I took the car. We still owed a couple years worth of payments, so I just continued paying the balance because in our divorce paperwork, we agreed that the car would be mine. We lived in different states following our separation and it seemed easier to just have him transfer the title to me once the car was paid off.

Fast forward to now: I still have the car, but I don't have the title and I can't get ahold of him. The bank the loan was taken out through won't discuss the loan or the title with me because it's in his name. I have spoken to an attorney, but she told me my best bet is to get ahold of him. So here I am, with a title-less car and no way of getting ahold of him (been trying for a long time!). Do I have any options considering that I DO have paperwork signed by a judge saying that the car is mine?
What exactly does the court order state regarding the car? If it awarded the car to you then there should be some language ordering the DMV to release the title to you in your name IF the car is listed properly. Redact the names when you post that information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">