• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this cause for an annulment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dianagsars

I got married just over 2 months ago. My husband and I started trying to buy a house and after looking at our credit report I saw something that I thought was a mistake- a child support lien for my husband. I called the state office to explain that it had to be a mistake, and was assured that not only does he have a child that I never knew about, but his checks are being garnished to pay child support. Does his withholding of this information qualify me for an annulment? Furthermore- if we separated, is there any guarantee that he'll pay child support for OUR child?

mistoffolees

I got married just over 2 months ago. My husband and I started trying to buy a house and after looking at our credit report I saw something that I thought was a mistake- a child support lien for my husband. I called the state office to explain that it had to be a mistake, and was assured that not only does he have a child that I never knew about, but his checks are being garnished to pay child support. Does his withholding of this information qualify me for an annulment? Furthermore- if we separated, is there any guarantee that he'll pay child support for OUR child?
Search this board for answers on annulment. Once again, divorce is usually easier and less expensive - EVEN IF you qualify for an annulment.

He will be responsible for child support for your child, as well as his other children. The amounts may be reduced, but he can't get out of it.

He could always not pay, but then you have his wages garnished. He could skip the country and then you'd have to support the child on your own.

The only issue is that if you're pregnant, you're not going to get a divorce until the child is born.

CourtClerk

You should have checked his credit report BEFORE you got married...

however, because you didn't do your research is not grounds for annulment.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
dianagsars, it might be a very simple process to get out of your marriage. It depends on which country you live in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">