• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

With Cause vs. No fault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What about Bob

What is the name of your state? Texas

My spouse is basically a workaholic. I have tried and tried to get her to work less hours over the last 2 years. Have tried everything from telling her how I feel to later getting nasty about it and all but threatening to leave her if the hours at work don't decrease.

The last time about 6 to 9 months ago that I raised a big stink about the hours she would swear up and down that "they were working on it" but then I would find e-mails to her boss where she was actively trying to get involved in other big projects. They at that time hired some help and the hours were better for a very short time now back to the same old same old and we have worked till 11 p.m. or later the last two evenings. Granted she was working at the house, but it doesn't make much difference if you are under the same roof when your spouse is in the back room not helping with the kids with their face stuck in a computer screen.

Due to her work hours...sex life or even communication at all??? are you kidding me?

One evening I had to be gone after having been home with sick children all day. Our children are both pre-school age. I was not gone 5 minutes and she was logging onto the computer to check work e-mail for an hour. I only asked her to watch them for 3 hours that day but as usual she ignored the children for the vast majority of the time. She was watching them because they were sick but then she called me near the end of the 3 hours at the children's bed time to say she had "just noticed" one of the kids fever had come back and was sky high :mad:

Is it possible to file for divorce in Texas using this as "cause" instead of going the no fault route?

My children act out frequently from her always ignoring them when she is actually around and I have given her a full year and a half to two years to fix the hours issue at work to no avail.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Q: Is it possible to file for divorce in Texas using this as "cause" instead of going the no fault route?

A: Assume for a moment that the answer is yes. Now, what difference does it make?

(BTW, you do understand that she has a lover and it ain't you.)

What about Bob

Yes, I figure it is not "just work" and have not found any solid proof that can't be explained away just yet but I know who she is messing around with...cell phone records tell no lies when excessive calls are made to one co-worker :rolleyes:

As to what difference does filing with cause instead of no fault make? It is my understanding that if you file no fault then the split of things is generally 50/50, but if you can prove "fault" then you can get a better deal.

I also want to file "with fault" because I plan to sue for custody of my kids as well and being a dad I will need all the help I can get for the custody case. The longer I wait the better my case gets really. I have an e-mail from her admitting she can't take care of the kids by herself for one Friday night and one Saturday that she sent to me and several other affected people when I had to cancel some travel plans not so long ago.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">