• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CC payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Champion_lmtd

Alabama. The wife is the Plaintiff and I the Defendant.
the bill was $2550.00 when we filed for divorce.
says: 4) Defendants Debts: The defendant shall be responsible for and indemnify the Plaintiff against all his personal indebtedness, and shall pay $2,500.00 toward the balance of the Silver Preferred Visa, Account #????-????-????-?????. She has not paid any towards this account in 10 months that we have been divorced. I have recently paid $2501.00 to cover my part . But with all the late fees and interest on it it still has a $975.00 balance on the card. My part is done or am i still responsible for the remaining balance.: This is her individual CC my name is not on it anywhere. and the remaining $975.00 is not new charges they are all late fees and interest. She has not paid on it in 10mnths.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm confused - is the $975 due to late fees & interests on the $2500, or new charges? If the former, then I think you should be paying it up. If they're new charges she's made, then she should. But if it's a joint card, the CC company is going to come after both of you - they're not interested in what your decree says.

djohnson

Your divorce decree is an agreed order between you and your ex. I'm sure it used a round number given by one of you for that amount. It didn't mean don't pay anything else. Its obviously your responsiblity to pay it but if its a joint card they can go back on her and she go back on you for contempt. You don't want those other problems so just pay it. The credit card company doesn't care what your divorce decree says.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">