• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Certified Mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Calif
I am filing my divorce papers this week. My husband is abusive. He does not know I am filing because I need to be out of the house first. He will retailate in some way.
I just found a certified letter in my name only from the IRS in his briefcase in his room. It is dated last week.
Is it illegal of him to intercept and keep a certified letter addressed to me only?
He has taken my mail in the past and cashed checks made out to me but I have not been able to catch him doing it until too late.
Should I bring the letter to my attorney tomorrow? Call the police?
Please let me know.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Its your letter. Take it with you wherever you go. Let your attorney know what you think your husband is doing. By dated, what do you mean? He signed for it last week or it was mailed last week?

date

The letter itself says Notice Date 8-2-2008.
It says 'Urgent We intend to levy on certain assets. Please respond NOW!
to avoid additional interest and penalty, pay amount you owe within 10 days from the date of this notice'

LdiJ

The letter itself says Notice Date 8-2-2008.
It says 'Urgent We intend to levy on certain assets. Please respond NOW!
to avoid additional interest and penalty, pay amount you owe within 10 days from the date of this notice'
Well, that indicates that either you (all by yourself) or you and your husband jointly, have a serious problem with the IRS. When a joint return is involved the IRS sends individual, certified letters to both parties.

The IRS sends at least two different letters to a party prior to sending that one, and sometimes three or four depending on the circumstances.

If its in reference to a joint return it won't go away until its paid off, no matter what the court orders.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">