• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chain of property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JoeBlow13

What is the name of your state? California

1. Girlfriend buys house in 2002
2. We get married in 10/04
3. We sell the house and put the $200,000 equity in our joint bank account in 6/05
4. We buy a car and new house using money in said bank account in 8/05
5. We separate and she files for divorce in 2/07

Anyone know what I'm entitled under California law as far as property division goes?

Bali Hai

What is the name of your state? California

1. Girlfriend buys house in 2002
2. We get married in 10/04
3. We sell the house and put the $200,000 equity in our joint bank account in 6/05
4. We buy a car and new house using money in said bank account in 8/05
5. We separate and she files for divorce in 2/07

Anyone know what I'm entitled under California law as far as property division goes?
Probably a hell of a lot more than you deserve.

moburkes

Probably a hell of a lot more than you deserve.
Bali, you usually abuse the women. Are you feeling alright today?

1/2 the equity in the house - $200,000 that she brought to the table. The car can be "split" along with the other personal property and debts.

nextwife

Bali, you usually abuse the women. Are you feeling alright today?

1/2 the equity in the house - $200,000 that she brought to the table. The car can be "split" along with the other personal property and debts.

I disagree. The money from the sale of home one was comingled and became marital.

The poster is entitled to half of all marital assets and debts: half the equity of the house they own now, half the value of the car, and half of any marital debt.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">