• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change of Address?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Texas_P1

What is the name of your state?TX

Wife moved out in May. We have temporary orders in place. Can I go down to he post office and fill out a change of address? I read it over and I would have to sign the form to authorize the change. Can I do this (legaly) or will this be something she can use against me at the next hearing. The only thing that the temp*** oders say is that I can not open or destroy her mail. So, right now it just piles up, they are all bills and stuff she isn't paying and has no concern to pay.

LdiJ

Texas_P1 said:
What is the name of your state?TX

Wife moved out in May. We have temporary orders in place. Can I go down to he post office and fill out a change of address? I read it over and I would have to sign the form to authorize the change. Can I do this (legaly) or will this be something she can use against me at the next hearing. The only thing that the temp*** oders say is that I can not open or destroy her mail. So, right now it just piles up, they are all bills and stuff she isn't paying and has no concern to pay.
No, you can't put in a change of address for her, because it requires her signature and therefore you doing so would be committing forgery.

If you know where she is living, then get yourself a big brown envelope, and stick all of her mail inside, and mail it to her at her new address. Do that once a week or so.

Texas_P1

LdiJ said:
No, you can't put in a change of address for her, because it requires her signature and therefore you doing so would be committing forgery.

If you know where she is living, then get yourself a big brown envelope, and stick all of her mail inside, and mail it to her at her new address. Do that once a week or so.

Ok, I did not know if it needed her signature, I didn't think it stipulated on the form. Also, on the brown envelope thing that kinda defeats the purpose. I want her and I to be not joined together in any way. And if the mail keeps coming to the house, it really does no good.

LdiJ

Texas_P1 said:
Ok, I did not know if it needed her signature, I didn't think it stipulated on the form. Also, on the brown envelope thing that kinda defeats the purpose. I want her and I to be not joined together in any way. And if the mail keeps coming to the house, it really does no good.
Once you are no longer married, and have a final divorce decree...then you can write on her mail "return to sender, no longer at this address".

However, in the meantime you have been ordered not to interfere with her mail....therefore all you can do is forward it on to her.

Texas_P1

Actually, here is what is says:

Counterpetitioner requests that the court enjoin Counterrespondent from the following:

Opening or diverting mail addressed to Counterpetitioner.

and these things are what she was trying to include but it does not say anything about ths specifically in the temp orders.

ceara19

Texas_P1 said:
Actually, here is what is says:

Counterpetitioner requests that the court enjoin Counterrespondent from the following:

Opening or diverting mail addressed to Counterpetitioner.

and these things are what she was trying to include but it does not say anything about ths specifically in the temp orders.

If you fill out the change of address card or return the mail to sender then you will be diverting the mail. Like LDiJ said, until the divorce is final it is best to save up the mail and forward it to her occassionally. You may want to send it registered mail or fedex, with a listing as to what mail you have sent, so that you will have her signature to prove she received it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">