• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changed my mind

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kgendron

What is the name of your state? New York

I filed for divorce and my husband has been served the papers, but...I have had a change of heart and want to try counseling before totally giving up on this marriage. Is it too late to stop the process? Can the divorce be switched to a legal seperation or dropped fully? Thanks for any info.

Zephyr

kgendron said:

I filed for divorce and my husband has been served the papers, but...I have had a change of heart and want to try counseling before totally giving up on this marriage. Is it too late to stop the process? Can the divorce be switched to a legal seperation or dropped fully? Thanks for any info.

yes you can stop the proceedings, I am not totally sure but I think you just have to notify the court

Bali Hai

kgendron said:

I filed for divorce and my husband has been served the papers, but...I have had a change of heart and want to try counseling before totally giving up on this marriage.

You already filed. That means you have given up. What makes you think HE will agree to counseling at this point?

Is it too late to stop the process?

No.

Can the divorce be switched to a legal seperation or dropped fully? Thanks for any info.

A legal seperation in NYS requires that you live apart for a minimum of one year and have all matters legally agreed to at that time of seperation.

After one year you will be divorced and bound by the seperation agreement.

You can drop the matrimonial at any time as long as he agrees to it.

So what do you want to do? What is he willing to live with?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">