• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

changes in assets and liablilites after the date of filling for divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hunt6738

Tennessee
I have three of what I hope are simple questions.

I filled for divorce on 08-13-05. There was a car, in my name, valued at roughly what was still owed on it. The car was totalled a few months after filling and we recieved a small refund check that was spilt equally among us.

1.)Is this now a non-issue in regards to the setlement. Not a liabality or an asset.

2.)My wife went out and purchased a new car, I assume this is also a non factor in the final settlement becasue it was purchased well after we had begun living seperatly.

3.) I own a motercycle worth roughly $4000. At the time of filling There was $3300 still owed, leaving a net $700 value. Now over 1 year later (while living seperatly from my wife, long after I filled), I have completed my loan obligation. Is it still considerd a $700 asset that should be split equally as opossed to a $4000 asset to be split equally?

Last edited:

LdiJ

hunt6738 said:
Tennessee
I have three of what I hope are simple questions.

I filled for divorce on 08-13-05. There was a car, in my name, valued at roughly what was still owed on it. The car was totalled a few months after filling and we recieved a small refund check that was spilt equally among us.

1.)Is this now a non-issue in regards to the setlement. Not a liabality or an asset.

2.)My wife went out and purchased a new car, I assume this is also a non factor in the final settlement becasue it was purchased well after we had begun living seperatly.

3.) I own a motercycle worth roughly $4000. At the time of filling There was $3300 still owed, leaving a net $700 value. Now over 1 year later (while living seperatly from my wife, long after I filled), I have completed my loan obligation. Is it still considerd a $700 asset that should be split equally as opossed to a $4000 asset to be split equally?
If the two of you agree that her new car and your motorcycle are non-issues, then they are non-issues. Otherwise it would be up to a judge. Most likely the judge would consider them non-issues as well, but there is no guarantee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">