• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing last name back to maiden name while still married.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phyresoul

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Is it possible to officially change one's last name back to one's maiden name while still legally married without having to go through the regular legal name change process? We are currently separated and not divorced for other reasons and I wish I had kept my maiden name from the beginning. I would like to know if there is a way to just go back to officially having my maiden name without as much legal hassle as getting an entirely new name change or getting divorced.

xylene

You do not need a divorce to change your name, indeed getting married did not change your name.

If you legally changed your name on marriage, you need to legally change it back if you want it to be a legal change of name.

there is of course nothing stopping you from simply using you maiden name, but if you want a legal name change... then you must deal with the system.

Your situation is not at all uncommon, easily dealt with, and changing your name won't help, or harm your probable eventual divorce.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would like to know if there is a way to just go back to officially having my maiden name without as much legal hassle as getting an entirely new name change or getting divorced.
Just to be clear, the specific answer to this specific question is: No.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">