• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing name back to something other than full maiden name?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greg503

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR

When we married, my wife took my last name. During our marriage, my wife legally changed her first name, as she didn't like her given name. Now that we're in the process of getting divorced, she would like to go back to her original last name, but keep her current legal first name. Is this possible as part of the divorce paperwork, of will she need to go through a separate name change process? Does the court require you to go back to a full legal name that you previously used?

Thanks,
Greg

mistoffolees

When we married, my wife took my last name. During our marriage, my wife legally changed her first name, as she didn't like her given name. Now that we're in the process of getting divorced, she would like to go back to her original last name, but keep her current legal first name. Is this possible as part of the divorce paperwork, of will she need to go through a separate name change process? Does the court require you to go back to a full legal name that you previously used?

Thanks,
Greg
Why does it concern you?

seniorjudge

Thanks,
Greg
Greg: This is contradictory:

During our marriage, my wife legally changed her first name, as she didn't like her given name.

I can't figure out your post. But let me try.

Your name is Greg Jones. You married Sally Smith. Her name is now Sally Jones. She changed her name legally to Jane Jones. Now you are getting divorced.

After the lawsuit, she wants to be known as Jane Smith.

If that is correct, then you can do it.

Make sure her lawyer puts that in the judgment in the lawsuit.

greg503

Greg: This is contradictory:

During our marriage, my wife legally changed her first name, as she didn't like her given name.

I can't figure out your post. But let me try.

Your name is Greg Jones. You married Sally Smith. Her name is now Sally Jones. She changed her name legally to Jane Jones. Now you are getting divorced.

After the lawsuit, she wants to be known as Jane Smith.

If that is correct, then you can do it.

Make sure her lawyer puts that in the judgment in the lawsuit.
Your assessment of the sequence of events is correct. Sorry for not including an example to illustrate more clearly.

We are filing for divorce ourselves in the form of a co-petitioner dissolution. The process is quite amicable, and we have a pretty simple set of assets, so we have not involved a lawyer. This is about the most complex issue that has come up.

We have been working from some standard forms that only reference "restoring" her name to a former name. Is it your opinion that her scenario would fit this, or should this be entered as separate additional provision?

Thanks again.

las365

Just change the word "restore" to "change" in the decree.

In the style (the part the top of the first page of each document) she should list her name as "Jane Jones, f/k/a Sally Smith" (It means formerly known as, but it always looks a little curse-wordy to me). She could attach a copy of her name change Order as an exhibit, if she likes, or she could take it with her when y'all go to Court to get the Decree entered.

It's possible for one party to waive citation and sign the documents and not appear, but it is my opinion that both of you should go, just so that there is no question as to your agreements. If only one goes, it should be her, so she can answer any questions the judge has about her name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">