• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

changing your name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

queqid

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
Was not sure this is where to post this question.

What does it cost to change my last name?
I live with a man that I love and I have good credit and he has bad credit. I know that marrying him would not be good for financial reasons. I am past child bearing years. If I change my last name to his as a commintmant, will me having his last name hurt my credit standing?
At the moment, we are using my good credit to "our" advantage.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
Was not sure this is where to post this question.

What does it cost to change my last name?
I live with a man that I love and I have good credit and he has bad credit. I know that marrying him would not be good for financial reasons. I am past child bearing years. If I change my last name to his as a commintmant, will me having his last name hurt my credit standing?
At the moment, we are using my good credit to "our" advantage.
And when you break up that will kill you as you will be SOLELY responsible for anything obtained with your good credit. Changing your last name gives you NONE OF the protections of marriage. All it does is change your name. There are no legal ties to him because of the same last name.

CourtClerk

Wow... a 2 second search on google led me straight to the Indiana Court's website where they explained exactly how to change your name, gave you the forms, and information on filing fees and fees for publication.

Oh, and changing your name to his in no way shows a committment. None at all. So please do yourself a favor and stop lying to yourself now before it starts costing you money. The only thing your naivete is costing you now is your dignity. Unless that is, you haven't actually verbalized this to anyone you actually know.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Wow... a 2 second search on google led me straight to the Indiana Court's website where they explained exactly how to change your name, gave you the forms, and information on filing fees and fees for publication.

Oh, and changing your name to his in no way shows a committment. None at all. So please do yourself a favor and stop lying to yourself now before it starts costing you money. The only thing your naivete is costing you now is your dignity. Unless that is, you haven't actually verbalized this to anyone you actually know.
Actually it is costing her HER credit score.

CourtClerk

Actually it is costing her HER credit score.
But she loves him, so it doesn't matter. Until that is.... she finds out how big of a farce this "committment" is and how when she gets to court because he's now ruined her credit too, no one will listen to her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">