• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

changing your name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kwhitney

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

My ex husband is trying to hold me in contemptive court because i havnt changed my name yet. i was just wondering if he can leagally do this and if theres a law stating i HAVE to change my name? Thanks for your imput!!

LdiJ

My ex husband is trying to hold me in contemptive court because i havnt changed my name yet. i was just wondering if he can leagally do this and if theres a law stating i HAVE to change my name? Thanks for your imput!!
What does your divorce decree state about you changing your last name?

mistoffolees

Tell him to pound sand.

Unless you agreed to it in your divorce decree, he can't make you.

FlyingRon

Yep, it would be uncommon that a divorce decree requires a name change (though I suppose it's possible). There's no law that says a woman has to adopt her husband's name at marriage nor give it up upon divorce. It's often convenient to do so at the same time (just another form that needs to be dealt with with all the others) but it's not a requirement.

My wife kept her first husband's after divorce (was easier with the kids) up until the time she married me.

LdiJ

Tell him to pound sand.

Unless you agreed to it in your divorce decree, he can't make you.
The wording of her divorce decree may be important. Depending on how its worded her last name may already be changed, and what she has not done is she has not taken the steps to change her SS card and other ID.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">