• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cheap divorce advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goddess023

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

Please help me. My head is spinning and confused on what to do.
My husband cheated on me for almost a year now and I just knew about it. :confused: :(
I want to divorce him but I just don't have enough money of my own to do it. We don't have any children yet. My bestfriend suggested that I go online and get more information about a DIY cheap divorce at cheap divorce, since no children are involved. She says the case would be much easier and does not require so much money. Does this DIY divorce really work? I need as much information from the people here on what should I do. Thank u.

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

Please help me. My head is spinning and confused on what to do.
My husband cheated on me for almost a year now and I just knew about it. :confused: :(
I want to divorce him but I just don't have enough money of my own to do it. We don't have any children yet. My bestfriend suggested that I go online and get more information about a DIY cheap divorce at cheap divorce, since no children are involved. She says the case would be much easier and does not require so much money. Does this DIY divorce really work? I need as much information from the people here on what should I do. Thank u.
I personally would never use an online service to get a divorce.

mistoffolees

There are a lot of questions that need to be answered before anyone can give you good advice. How long were you married? Do you have any assets (including retirement accounts)? How much was accumulated during the marriage? What are your relative income levels?

goddess023

There are a lot of questions that need to be answered before anyone can give you good advice. How long were you married? Do you have any assets (including retirement accounts)? How much was accumulated during the marriage? What are your relative income levels?
Around 2 years already. Yes we have joint accounts, a house and retirement accounts too. I am not sure how much money in total are we talking here. I completely trusted my husband on all our finances. So a DIY is the right way to go?

mistoffolees

Around 2 years already. Yes we have joint accounts, a house and retirement accounts too. I am not sure how much money in total are we talking here. I completely trusted my husband on all our finances. So a DIY is the right way to go?
Again, it's impossible to say without answers to all the questions.

However, I am opposed to DIY divorces in most cases. Just read these boards for a while to see all the problems that improperly handled divorces can cause.

If the divorce is simple, an attorney won't cost all that much. If it's complicated (or if the couple chooses to fight about everything), it will be expensive, but you really need the help to avoid making a mess of it.

It's particularly of concern that you don't have any idea how much money you have (jointly) and are ready to rush in without even knowing what you are entitled to and what you are not.

Call around to some attorneys. Many attorneys will give you an initial consultation free. If there are sufficient assets, some will petition the court to be paid from marital assets rather than cash up front. If there's a law school near you, see if they have a service to help out. Contact your local legal aid. One way or another, you should at least talk with an attorney to assess your situation.

goddess023

Again, it's impossible to say without answers to all the questions.

However, I am opposed to DIY divorces in most cases. Just read these boards for a while to see all the problems that improperly handled divorces can cause.

If the divorce is simple, an attorney won't cost all that much. If it's complicated (or if the couple chooses to fight about everything), it will be expensive, but you really need the help to avoid making a mess of it.

It's particularly of concern that you don't have any idea how much money you have (jointly) and are ready to rush in without even knowing what you are entitled to and what you are not.

Call around to some attorneys. Many attorneys will give you an initial consultation free. If there are sufficient assets, some will petition the court to be paid from marital assets rather than cash up front. If there's a law school near you, see if they have a service to help out. Contact your local legal aid. One way or another, you should at least talk with an attorney to assess your situation.
I have arranged to meet a lawyer this Friday. Hopefully she'll be able to clear issues especially our joint finances and help me. I thank you for the advices you've shared.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">