• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cheating wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Homerr

What is the name of your state? Washington

As I understand it Washington state has abolished its "alienation of affection" law.

My wife cheated on me and I'm trying to get the other guy to back off while we try to work on things with counselors. Can I use anything else to subdue him legally? She will not cooperate in this.

What, if any, legal implictions are there to her cheating? Am i in a good spot legally? I have no idea where to go, what to do if this is heading toward divorce.

tigger22472

Homerr said:

As I understand it Washington state has abolished its "alienation of affection" law.

My wife cheated on me and I'm trying to get the other guy to back off while we try to work on things with counselors. Can I use anything else to subdue him legally? She will not cooperate in this.

What, if any, legal implictions are there to her cheating? Am i in a good spot legally? I have no idea where to go, what to do if this is heading toward divorce.

If she won't cooperate in helping you do things to keep this man away then obviously she doesn't want him to go away and if she doesn't want him to stay away how do you expect to repair your marriage?

You can attempt to get a restraining order against him but only if he's threatened or harrassed YOU. Your wife could get one but as you've said she won't cooperate.

Are there any children of this marriage? If you were to divorce about the only leverage really you would have on her was if she wanted custody of the children and planned to immediately move in with this person and even then it would be minimal. How long have you been married?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Homerr said:

MY RESPONSE: That is correct.

My wife cheated on me and I'm trying to get the other guy to back off while we try to work on things with counselors. Can I use anything else to subdue him legally?

MY RESPONSE: I've always found that a regulation, 42 ounce, Louisville "Slugger" baseball bat works quite nicely - - across the knees.

She will not cooperate in this.

MY RESPONSE: Well, I wouldn't suspect that she would! Hell, she's getting laid by the other guy!

What, if any, legal implictions are there to her cheating?

MY RESPONSE: None. Washington is a "No Fault" Dissolution State.

Am i in a good spot legally?

MY RESPONSE: Not with regard to her cheating, trailer trash, ways you're not.

I have no idea where to go, what to do if this is heading toward divorce.

MY RESPONSE: Well, let's see . . . hmmmm . . . let me see . . . You said that she's cheating, that she won't cooperate in getting rid of the guy, and she won't cooperate with going to a counselor. Hmmmm . . . well, if I was a betting man (and I am), I'd say your marriage has already taken a nose dive right into the ol' septic tank. But then, if you're into threesomes, it might stand a chance.

IAAL

Homerr

Washington state

We have no kids, and we rent so no property. Been married 2 years. It has no bearing on the legal side but all our friends, counselors, my family, her family, and even she admits this is the wrong thing to do. She is on a self-destructive bent with this ex-boyfriend that mistreated her, and as of yesterday will not work on counselling. She is repeating a cycle to a tee that she saw her parents do. It's just heartbreaking.

I too think the marriage is over. I'm plenty pissed at the ex-boyfriend, but my real frustration is with my wife.

What is the normal procedure from here? Do I contact a lawyer? Do I file for divorce myself at some county records office? How long does a divorce take? What if she files first, does that change anything?

LdiJ

Homerr said:
Washington state

We have no kids, and we rent so no property. Been married 2 years. It has no bearing on the legal side but all our friends, counselors, my family, her family, and even she admits this is the wrong thing to do. She is on a self-destructive bent with this ex-boyfriend that mistreated her, and as of yesterday will not work on counselling. She is repeating a cycle to a tee that she saw her parents do. It's just heartbreaking.

I too think the marriage is over. I'm plenty pissed at the ex-boyfriend, but my real frustration is with my wife.

What is the normal procedure from here? Do I contact a lawyer? Do I file for divorce myself at some county records office? How long does a divorce take? What if she files first, does that change anything?
You have no kids and no property so you have nothing to fight over. Just get yourself a "Do it Yourself" divorce kit and file.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">