• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cheating Wife-Do I get More?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Steve28

What is the name of your state? Steve in Texas

Hi, my wife and I were only married for 8 months, but have lived together for over 6 years. Our marriage had some problems, but she totally screwed it up when she cheated, AND even stayed with the person for a week. Am I entitled to more because of her infidelity, and the fact that my life is totally screwed now? Not to mention the emotional stress I've going thru for the past 2 months.:( Oh, and we got married in Hawaii also. Anyone heard of making someone assume more of the debt?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It's unlikely that her adultery would get you more money, but it really depends on state law. Boxcar Bill is an atty in TX, so he might have better info for you if he sees your post.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Steve28 said:
What is the name of your state? Steve in Texas

Hi, my wife and I were only married for 8 months, but have lived together for over 6 years. Our marriage had some problems, but she totally screwed it up when she cheated, AND even stayed with the person for a week. Am I entitled to more because of her infidelity, and the fact that my life is totally screwed now? Not to mention the emotional stress I've going thru for the past 2 months.:( Oh, and we got married in Hawaii also. Anyone heard of making someone assume more of the debt?

My response:

It's my understanding of Texas marital law that if you're able to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, and to a moral certainty, that your wife committed adultery, that a judge can, and most often will, award you a 10% discount coupon off your next purchase of a juicy roast beef sandwich from Arby's Roast Beef restaurants.

I think I'm correct, but BoxCarBill will let me know if I'm wrong.

IAAL

O

OnlyOneVoice

AAhhh the joys of community property states. Unfortunately that also applies to the debt incurred by the couple.

It's doubtful that you will fare any better than she does in the end.

HomeGuru

Re: Re: Cheating Wife-Do I get More?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

It's my understanding of Texas marital law that if you're able to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, and to a moral certainty, that your wife committed adultery, that a judge can, and most often will, award you a 10% discount coupon off your next purchase of a juicy roast beef sandwich from Arby's Roast Beef restaurants.

I think I'm correct, but BoxCarBill will let me know if I'm wrong.

IAAL

**A: clarification- the coupon is only redeemable in Hawaii, the state of the marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">