• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

checkbook

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TiredOfGames

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

My stb-ex removed our joint checkbook & checks from the home (we still live in the marital home during divorce process - ugh!). I sent him an e-mail requesting it be returned. Got no response, so I forwarded the e-mail to his attorney. He responded that he was unaware of any outstanding bills & I should give my stb-ex 72 hours notice if I need a check. Is this a viloation of court orders? this is a joint account to which I contribute my earnings & believe I deserve equal access to the checkbook/checks. What are my legal options?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Why not (a) order your own checks, and (b) use online banking to keep track of what's being paid out, etc?

JETX

Is this a viloation of court orders?
What court orders??
Your post provides NOTHING about any court orders.... so we can't even guess if any have been 'violated'.

this is a joint account to which I contribute my earnings & believe I deserve equal access to the checkbook/checks. What are my legal options?
Very simple. Since this is a JOINT account.... go to the bank and withdraw YOUR funds.

mistoffolees

What court orders??
Your post provides NOTHING about any court orders.... so we can't even guess if any have been 'violated'.

Very simple. Since this is a JOINT account.... go to the bank and withdraw YOUR funds.
And create your own account.

The problem, of course is if OP is not working and stbx is providing all the family income. In that case, I would add 'get a job'.

nextwife

I can't remember the last time I used the joint checking! And even my individual checking, I almost never use checks - I set everyone up online.

You don't NEED physical checks to pay bills out of a checking account. Is your debit card working? Have you checked if you can access online bill pay?

Have your paychecks put into an account in your name only.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

My stb-ex removed our joint checkbook & checks from the home (we still live in the marital home during divorce process - ugh!). I sent him an e-mail requesting it be returned. Got no response, so I forwarded the e-mail to his attorney. He responded that he was unaware of any outstanding bills & I should give my stb-ex 72 hours notice if I need a check. Is this a viloation of court orders? this is a joint account to which I contribute my earnings & believe I deserve equal access to the checkbook/checks. What are my legal options?
Go to the bank. Close the joint bank account and take the money. Use your share of the money to open an account in your name only. Give the rest of the money to your stbx, and tell him to open his own account.

Give him half of the bills to pay as long as you are sharing a household. Re-route your paycheck to your own account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">