• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jc103

Texas. I was divorced 6 years ago after an abusive 18 year marriage. He got custody of my two youngest children and took them to Iowa. The divorce decree was set up for visitation as if he was still in the state of TX. My one son came to live with me for a year and at the time I didn't pay support for this child. He went back to Iowa in July and my ex filed with the state to get back child support of 9000.00. I had been paying support all along. What can I do about all of this? Please help. I'm desperate.

S

scumcoast

You did not say if your support order was set amount per. month/week/biweekly for the children or set amount per. month/week/biweely per. child and this makes a big difference on what is paid. If your order was a set amount for all the children then you would own that amount even if some of them stayed with you for a year. If your order is per. child than you need to send verification to the agency going after this arrears showing your child living with you for the year. Sorry but a order is an order and stands unless it is taken back to court to change it when something with the children changes. Get your order and read it closely on how you were ordered to pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">