• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support & Custody for Incarcerated Ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

honey32

What is the name of your state? TN

Please help. My ex-husband has been incarcerated yet again. He has a past felony drug conviction and is currently in trouble for 2-3 counts worthless checks over $1000, 2-3 counts failure to appear (and jumping bail), 1 count introduction of contraband into a penal institution, and impersonating a doctor to try and obtain RX drugs. He is looking at 3-5 years with no chance of bail, probation or bond. Since failing at all 3.
He already owes over $11,000 in back child support and has paid very minimal the past 14 months (since separation - but now divorced).
Our children are 2 and 4 years old. Young enough to forget he ever existed. I'm a professional intelligent woman, whom still wonders how I got into his "web". I would like to move on with my life and never have to deal with lawyers, police, jail ever again. I would like to have all parental rights taken away, something I am 100% positive he will object to, since now he is using the kids as a sympathy card with the courts. I would agree to forget all past and future child support if he would just stay out of our lives forever! Could I get a court order taking away his rights based on his criminal and drug usage history?
Thanks for your help,
Honey32

LdiJ

honey32 said:
What is the name of your state? TN

Please help. My ex-husband has been incarcerated yet again. He has a past felony drug conviction and is currently in trouble for 2-3 counts worthless checks over $1000, 2-3 counts failure to appear (and jumping bail), 1 count introduction of contraband into a penal institution, and impersonating a doctor to try and obtain RX drugs. He is looking at 3-5 years with no chance of bail, probation or bond. Since failing at all 3.
He already owes over $11,000 in back child support and has paid very minimal the past 14 months (since separation - but now divorced).
Our children are 2 and 4 years old. Young enough to forget he ever existed. I'm a professional intelligent woman, whom still wonders how I got into his "web". I would like to move on with my life and never have to deal with lawyers, police, jail ever again. I would like to have all parental rights taken away, something I am 100% positive he will object to, since now he is using the kids as a sympathy card with the courts. I would agree to forget all past and future child support if he would just stay out of our lives forever! Could I get a court order taking away his rights based on his criminal and drug usage history?
Thanks for your help,
Honey32
Possibly....you would need to consult with a local attorney. However, a family court judge might not feel that his crimes are serious enough to warrant a full termination of his parental rights. If his crimes were violent crimes, your chances would probably be stronger.

Nocgirl

I agree. Unless you are remarried and your husband is willing to adopt, termination is unlikely. you chose this man to father your kids, a judge is not necessarily going to take away his rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">