• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support intentionally quiting job to raise payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lopan122

Ohio. Hello i have a question about child support. I have been divorced for about 7 years and i pay child support for my 1 child. My question is her mother yesterday told me she was planning on intentionally quitting her job and then filing for a review of child support payments so that her income shows up as 0 to force me to pay more and then get a new job after. Can she do this?

LdiJ

Ohio. Hello i have a question about child support. I have been divorced for about 7 years and i pay child support for my 1 child. My question is her mother yesterday told me she was planning on intentionally quitting her job and then filing for a review of child support payments so that her income shows up as 0 to force me to pay more and then get a new job after. Can she do this?
Not and get away with it, if you challenge it. That would be a voluntary reduction in income. You could get the judge to impute her income at the previous level. However, that doesn't automatically mean that you will not end up paying more child support if she files for a modification. If your support order has not changed in 7 years and your income has, then child support could change...up or down.

lopan122

The thing is she has had many jobs since the decree, about 8 or so. she repeatedly quits or gets fired, at least 2 times at daycares from complaints from parents about her mistreatment of children.. My income has gone up roughly 20% from raises, much less if OT is counted

LdiJ

The thing is she has had many jobs since the decree, about 8 or so. she repeatedly quits or gets fired, at least 2 times at daycares from complaints from parents about her mistreatment of children.. My income has gone up roughly 20% from raises, much less if OT is counted
Then its possible that your child support is going to increase, proportional to your income. Its still however, possible to impute an income to her...you might just have to average her most recent earnings, but you are still likely facing an increase.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OT is counted. Her quitting will not help her. Has the cost of daycare for your child changed? If she is fired for mistreating children and you have evidence of that, why haven't you filed for custody of your child?

lopan122

cause it was hearsay from what other workers at the daycares said to me when i went to pick her up and found she was fired and she didnt tell me. She gets free or heavily reduced daycare costs from what she told me through the gov.

single317dad

If my ex threatened to quit her job to increase my support payment, I would direct her to this website:

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/5101:12-45-10

Then I would tell her to Google "ohio imputing income".

End transmission. Radio silence. Let her stew in it. If she still files to modify, so be it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">