• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Paid During Marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lratterman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My husband owed back child support in the amount of $20,000 when we were married, which he paid off using our community monies during the first year of our marriage. Since I was the main earner during our 4 year marriage, most of this was paid with my salary. Now that we are getting divorced, am I entitled to any of this money back since it was HIS debt going in to the marriage that was paid for by our joint money? He now makes WAY more money than me which was not the case back when this was paid off.

Thanks in advance.

lratterman

I knew he was making current child support payments from his paycheck, but had no idea the magnitude of back child support debt he owed until after we were married and had combined our finances. I didn't really have a choice in the matter, it had to be paid.

Last edited:

mistoffolees

I knew he was making current child support payments from his paycheck, but had no idea the magnitude of back child support debt he owed until after we were married and had combined our finances. I didn't really have a choice in the matter, it had to be paid.
Why would you expect to be reimbursed for it? If he had spent $1,000 per month on a car payment, you would get a share of any equity left in the car, but you could not claim a refund on the money spent on child support.

If he had a $20 K student loan when you got married and he made monthly payments, you could not claim that money back.

Besides, you said above that he was making the payments FROM HIS PAYCHECK. That means that more of the money to support the household came from your paycheck, but you can't get that back, either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">