• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Children and R Rated Movies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brktrabr

I live in Michigan and my ex-wife lives in Kentucky. Whenever we have the children, they tell me about all these r rated movies that they are taken to see at the movie theaters. The lastest being Saw 5. My son is now 10 and my daughter is 12. I had a conversation with her about these movies a few years ago and she blew me off like I was in the wrong. Is there anything that can be done regarding this legally, or do I just need to accept it? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

penelope10

I live in Michigan and my ex-wife lives in Kentucky. Whenever we have the children, they tell me about all these r rated movies that they are taken to see at the movie theaters. The lastest being Saw 5. My son is now 10 and my daughter is 12. I had a conversation with her about these movies a few years ago and she blew me off like I was in the wrong. Is there anything that can be done regarding this legally, or do I just need to accept it? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
As far as I know, a child is allowed to see an R rated movie if they are accompanied by a parent or guardian, so legally Mom can take the children to see these kinds of movies. My 14 year old has not been allowed to see anything R rated thus far--I really dislike the idea of exposing her to graphic depictions of violence, especially if the scenes of violence are simply for "thrills" sake. Personally, Saw 5 would be the last R rated movie I'd consider taking her to. (In fact, she hasn't seen Saving Private Ryan yet due to the realistic war scenes, despite the fact that it is a fabulous movie).

You can try talking to Mom again, but she'll probably continue to blow you off.

Last edited:

LdiJ

No, there honestly isn't anything that you can do about it legally. You honestly just need to accept it. That is not something that a judge would micromanage.

Edo

My Ohio sympathies to you. I have the same issue, only it is with my 2 and 4 year old daughters watching violent "R" rated movies like Childs Play. Based on the Gaurdian Ad Litems recommendation, the mother was ordered not to allow my daughters to view these movies - and that was it - the judge or Gaurdian ad Litem did not conclude this made her a bad mother.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My Ohio sympathies to you. I have the same issue, only it is with my 2 and 4 year old daughters watching violent "R" rated movies like Childs Play. Based on the Gaurdian Ad Litems recommendation, the mother was ordered not to allow my daughters to view these movies - and that was it - the judge or Gaurdian ad Litem did not conclude this made her a bad mother.
It doesn't make mom a bad mother. And it is very difficult to enforce a provision stating that children should NOT be watching those movies or stating at which age they should be able to watch R rated movies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">