• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Childrens' last name change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

panch05

What is the name of your state? WA

My divorce decree changed my kids' last names (mine) from XXX-XXXto XXX-XXX. Now, my ex-wife, believes she can make their elementary school change their listed names as "Joseph X. XXX".

This infruriates me, because "X" implies a middle name and "XXX" implies that that is their last name. My question is this: does not the hyphen ("-") bond two words into one? Their last name, from divorce decree, begins with a "X". Therefore, if there may be any abbreviating of the last name, it would be any remaining letters that don't, for example, fit in the box/line "Last Name". Please advise. Thank you.

Last edited:

panch05 said:
What is the name of your state? WA

My divorce decree changed my kids' last names (mine) from xxxx-xxxx to xxxx-xxxx. Now, my ex-wife, believes she can make their elementary school change their listed names as "xxxx-xxxx".

This infruriates me, because "C" implies a middle name and "xxxxx" implies that that is their last name. My question is this: does not the hyphen ("-") bond two words into one? Their last name, from divorce decree, begins with a "C". Therefore, if there may be any abbreviating of the last name, it would be any remaining letters that don't, for example, fit in the box/line "Last Name". Please advise. Thank you.
If you are the father and the children's name was xxxx-xxxx why did it get changed to xxxx-xxxx???

Last edited:

panch05

why did it get changed to XXX-XXX???

bulldog, thanks for helping... That's a long/complicated answer to that question, but the short of it is, I agreed to it. She initially wanted my name dropped completely from our kids' legal names, but that would've been over my dead body. It was all "bargaining" in the end... my divorce atty recommended that I agree to the name alteration, based on other details of our settlement...

Last edited:

panch05

How old are the children?

ihave3sons, they both just turned 7 and 6. XXXis 7, XXXis 6. They were both close to turning 5 and 4 when my ex and I first split up.

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

Some computer systems don't allow for the hyphen anymore, Social security for example, that is why the hyphen was dropped. The school would base their name off their social security cards. It is perfectly legal and can be printed out either way. The age of the children is not revevant.

panch05

reducing to a middle initial or not?...

Thank you both for your replies... much appreciated. Last question - can my ex wife reduce our childrens' first part of their last name (mine) to a middle initial or not? Can she "require" that their school list my boy as XXX X. XXX?... if his social security card reads XXX Scott XXX XXX?

Last edited:

panch05

Okay, awesome, thanks for all the input! I appreciate it.

Just an FYI. Could be XXX, could be Smith, could be Johnson, could be Salsa-Sweatypants. :D

Question: Is it legal/proper/fair to abbreviate the children's names by basically eliminating the father's name, MY name, the name they were brought into the world with and have carried for years, and reducing it to merely an initial. Can I provide you all with any addtional information that might assist in evaluating the question? Do you need the exact wording within the decree? I would be more than happy to provide it if that is the case.

Keep in mind, I am deferring to your expertise. I am not an attorney, I am not a paralegal, my exposure to these issues is quite limited therefore I do require a bit of guidance from those that possess the expertise in order get an answer. Be it an answer that may be difficult to swallow or otherwise.

What can I do to obtain that information?

Last edited:

ENASNI

Did you get this?

stealth2 said:
Dude - it's pretty damned stupid to put your kids' names out on the internet.
Do you understand this logic...
Do you understand how to delete your thread or at least xxx out the names.
There are wierdos out there Pancho.

rmet4nzkx

There is nothing illegal with the middle name as an initial, please get real sometimes there is only room for an initial, use your head. If you wanted your name listed you should have asked it be second instead of first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">