• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Childsupport question -

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paige62

State MA

Question: Is it the courts that decide on the amount of childsupport?

I have come up with a figure using the worksheet guidelines and using a lesser of the amount that was specified in the quidelines that I want to tell the court I will take. But now my soon to be ex husband told me he is only paying a certain amount which is less than what I was going to request. And if they make him pay more he will go and find a lower paying job for a few years. Don't they look at their past employeement. He has worked at this job for the past 11 years.

Golfball

If your STBX does take a lower paying job voluntarily, the court may impute the higher income to him anyway.

nextwife

Did you run the numbers through a CS calculator for your state to arrive at the number you are using?

paige62

yes I did. I used a few of the ones that they have on line. Not that much of difference in what they come out with. The STBX also commented that he can only pay a said amount and that the martial debt would be included in this. For 2 children in MA he should be paying atleast 1100. But he says he can only pay the 1100 and that is not including the debt that we both should be responsible for 1/2.

CJane

And if they make him pay more he will go and find a lower paying job for a few years.
Heh. He's not too bright, is he?

He's going to go get a lower paying job AFTER the court orders him to pay a certain amount that she ALREADY claims he can't afford to pay - thereby bringing in less money, making the CS even more difficult to pay which will result in him going into arrears which will THEN result in him being unable to downward mod based on this new lower income.

Dumbass.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">