• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

citing fraud as reason for divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

woman in limbo

What is the name of your state?IN
I will be filing for divorce within 6 months. My husband told me a serious lie before we got married 4 years ago. I found out a little over a year ago that he had lied. I cannot get over it, and want out of the marriage. Can I use fraud as the reason? If he had told me the truth four years ago, I would not have married him. And I am really angry about this. No children involved. Thanks for your help.
W I L

Bali Hai

woman in limbo said:
What is the name of your state?IN
I will be filing for divorce within 6 months. My husband told me a serious lie before we got married 4 years ago. I found out a little over a year ago that he had lied. I cannot get over it, and want out of the marriage. Can I use fraud as the reason? If he had told me the truth four years ago, I would not have married him. And I am really angry about this. No children involved. Thanks for your help.
W I L
The lie was about the size of his bank account, wasn't it?

woman in limbo

He is an ex con, federal, arrested in 3 different states for dealing meth, but two ran concurrently, that is why he got out of prison, the three strike law didn't come into play, but would if he got arrested again. He promised me he would never touch drugs again, blah, blah, blah, and that he was reformed. As soon as his parole supervision was over, he went back on the meth. He is still on parole, paper only, until sometime this year. I won't go into all the things his drug abuse has caused me heartache over, but it has destroyed this marriage, just like it destroyed his previous marriage of over 20 years. I would like to cite fraud, not irreconcilable differences. As to the money, I make more than he does, and everything in our home, except washer, dryer, and refrigerator were purchased by me. Would I be able to cite fraud in this case, since he lied to me about being reformed? Thank you for any insight.
W I L

Bali Hai

woman in limbo said:
He is an ex con, federal, arrested in 3 different states for dealing meth, but two ran concurrently, that is why he got out of prison, the three strike law didn't come into play, but would if he got arrested again. He promised me he would never touch drugs again, blah, blah, blah, and that he was reformed. As soon as his parole supervision was over, he went back on the meth. He is still on parole, paper only, until sometime this year. I won't go into all the things his drug abuse has caused me heartache over, but it has destroyed this marriage, just like it destroyed his previous marriage of over 20 years. I would like to cite fraud, not irreconcilable differences. As to the money, I make more than he does, and everything in our home, except washer, dryer, and refrigerator were purchased by me. Would I be able to cite fraud in this case, since he lied to me about being reformed? Thank you for any insight.
W I L
Nope, you took that risk knowing full well of the consequences.

Just Blue

woman in limbo said:
W I L

Its really sad..but you need to do a backround check on anyone you are getting serious with...good luck...

justalayman

baystategirl said:
Its really sad..but you need to do a backround check on anyone you are getting serious with...good luck...
The OP seems to state she knew of his background it was the "fraud". I think this makws it look bad on the OP's part. Maybe he could sue under lack of ability to enter a contract since she apparently couldn't see what was right in front of her face.

Would I be able to cite fraud in this case, since he lied to me about being reformed?
I don't think that would rise to fraud in any situation. Many people believe themselves to be reformed but fall off the wagon.

Kane

OP: Talk to an attorney (you need to anyway), but I suspect the answer is that it doesn't matter what reason cite for your divorce, you're still going to be just as divorced when it's over, either way.

Citing "fraud" is liable to do little but introduce an extra level of hostility into the process.

woman in limbo

yes, I knew of his background when I married him, but I guess I was being naive, or maybe empathetic, I thought everybody deserves a second chance. We dated over a year, then lived together 6 months before we married. His parole officer made many surprise visits in that time, always carrying a bottle for a specimen to test him for drugs. Clean every time. We married, and the surprise visits continued, all hours of the day and night, he tested clean, kept the same job the whole time, got promoted, and two years after we married, his parole officer was so impressed, he took him off supervised parole, (no more surprise visits), but he was to keep his nose clean as he was still on paper. I started noticing small changes in his behavior, but he still had his job, and I thought maybe he was just having a hard time at work or something was bothering him. I have never been around drug users before, and was naive to the signs. I ended up in the hosp for 10 days, had to have emergency surgery. During one of his visits to me, my Dr. was in the room. The next day the Dr. asked me if he was on drugs, that is when I really began to think about his behavior, and what it might mean. He did something really bizarre the next day, and that is when I asked him if he was back on drugs. He admitted it to me. I was released two days later, at home, he told me that the pull of the meth was too strong, that he picked me because he knew I didn't do drugs and would help him stay straight. Then he told me that two days after his parole officer signed him off, he called his old buddies and got back on the drugs, but didn't deal. This is why I believe it was fraud, he used me to stay clean so he could get off parole, I think he had it planned from the beginning. Any non drug using female would have done, it just happened to be me. As soon as he no longer had a babysitter, er...parole officer, he was right back into his old behavior. Now he is clean, but there too much water has gone under the bridge, I don't trust him, and I can't get my trust back. A few days ago, his old buddy left a message for him, and I fear he is getting back into the drugs again. I can't live like that and don't want to. So that is why I thought it might be fraud. It has nothing to do with the size of anything, bank account or anything else. Thank you all for your help, and your speculation. Yes, I shouldn't have married him, knowing what I know now. But at least I am trying to rectify that. I have an appointment with an attorney in two weeks, but was hoping I could find out if this constituted fraud now, instead of waiting two more weeks. Have a good evening, everyone. W I L

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">