• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming Son as a dependant, ex-spouse won't sign form 8332

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

REDOR

What is the name of your state? Oregon

In my divorce decree, It specifies that I can claim my kids for tax purposes. My ex-spouse won't sign the IRS form 8332 and the IRS rules require special wording in the divorce decree. " It requires that the decree states: I can claim the child (which it does) and that she won't claim the child (which it doesn't) and the years to allow claiming (which it doesn't).
This makes a difference of about $800 per year for 3 years.

What can I do if she won't sign?

Bali Hai

REDOR said:
What is the name of your state? Oregon

In my divorce decree, It specifies that I can claim my kids for tax purposes. My ex-spouse won't sign the IRS form 8332 and the IRS rules require special wording in the divorce decree. " It requires that the decree states: I can claim the child (which it does) and that she won't claim the child (which it doesn't) and the years to allow claiming (which it doesn't).
This makes a difference of about $800 per year for 3 years.

What can I do if she won't sign?
Take her to court for contempt and attorney fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">