• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

clarification on 401k growth during marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Johndeere720

What is the name of your state? OHIO

Late last week I asked a question about a 401k which I had before marriage, but continued to contribute to during the marriage. LDIJ responded, but I need more clarification, please.

At the date of the marriage, there was 50k in the 401k. That original 50k has grown to 65k now, but it is part of a total 104k in the plan. The marriage was 4 years.

I asked if that 65k is marital property - i.e. is the growth on premarital 401k balance marital or separate property?

LDIJ said "that is not how it is usually done"...what does that mean....how is a 401k split....

More info: I am older and have this 401k with a balance of 104k, her 401k is 5k.....

Thanks!

Bali Hai

Late last week I asked a question about a 401k which I had before marriage, but continued to contribute to during the marriage. LDIJ responded, but I need more clarification, please.

At the date of the marriage, there was 50k in the 401k. That original 50k has grown to 65k now, but it is part of a total 104k in the plan. The marriage was 4 years.

I asked if that 65k is marital property - i.e. is the growth on premarital 401k balance marital or separate property?

LDIJ said "that is not how it is usually done"...what does that mean....how is a 401k split....

More info: I am older and have this 401k with a balance of 104k, her 401k is 5k.....

Thanks!
ALL earnings or contributions to your 401k during the marriage are marital property.

LdiJ

Thanks!
Normally the amount of a 401k that accrues during the marriage is considered to be marital property. Normally that is both new additions and appreciation.

However, you can certainly try to negotiate something different, and a good attorney might even be able to convince a judge to order something different.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">